First impression towing with 6.9 NA

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say you lugged it per se, but you weren’t in the ideal rpm range for towing. You will have less air going through the engine at lower rpms but more fuel because of how these db2 pumps are with their fuel curve, that’s why you probaly noticed the excessive soot. Your oil consumption sounds normal for a new engine, most people report a good bit of consumption until the engine has a good amount of miles under it.
Well ran it up to 3 k goin down the road empty for the first time for about a half a minute. I now need to pull the moter cause it died on me and now it's knocking REALLY bad wen it will start. Wonder wat I did wrong?

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the brake issue. Our front calipers have these horrid, rubber filled, metal rails that need to be greased all the time or your front brake pads will drag constantly. It's probably not the major issue you're having, but do it anyway as it most likely needs it. Pull the calipers off, clean the grooves and the rubber filled metal rail things, grease everything with disc brake caliper grease and reinstall. Put the trans in neutral and check your freewheel, my truck will out coast just about every other vehicle I own, yours should too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Back to the brake issue. Our front calipers have these horrid, rubber filled, metal rails that need to be greased all the time or your front brake pads will drag constantly. It's probably not the major issue you're having, but do it anyway as it most likely needs it. Pull the calipers off, clean the grooves and the rubber filled metal rail things, grease everything with disc brake caliper grease and reinstall. Put the trans in neutral and check your freewheel, my truck will out coast just about every other vehicle I own, yours should too.

Oh it'll free wheel. I have to start in N (bad NSS) and I have to be careful that the parking brake is set. Once I pulled the release not thinking about it, then bent down to tie my shoe as an afterthought. On minimal incline, I was rolling forward.

I greased those sliders up good a year ago. I had replaced one caliper, the hoses and pads. Oh the sliders were also replaced as part of the hardware kit.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ran it up to 3 k goin down the road empty for the first time for about a half a minute. I now need to pull the moter cause it died on me and now it's knocking REALLY bad wen it will start. Wonder wat I did wrong?
Start a new thread on this ASAP, I’d rather not go off topic any further. I’ll shoot you a pm in the meantime

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Check the throttle cable like mentioned, you never know, it could have stretched.

The transmission is sick?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Check the throttle cable like mentioned, you never know, it could have stretched.

The transmission is sick?

I guess I’ll see what I can weight down the pedal with while I go check. I don’t have anyone to hold it down.

I’d hope the transmission isn’t sick. It’s only a couple years old. The last owner had it rebuilt. He gave me the receipt showing it. I suppose it could need a band adjustment or something.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I’ll see what I can weight down the pedal with while I go check. I don’t have anyone to hold it down.

I’d hope the transmission isn’t sick. It’s only a couple years old. The last owner had it rebuilt. He gave me the receipt showing it. I suppose it could need a band adjustment or something.

This would be something to check. I have a NA 7.3 E250 with 3.54's and a c6....so a very similar setup to yours. I also have a DNE2 OD, but I do not use it while towing. My thoughts:

1. Something is up with your truck. I just used mine to tow my 30' TT to for a camping over spring break. When towing I drive by my EGT gauge and keep it below 1100*. My IP/Injectors need replaced (have about 120K on them). On fairly flat ground I had no issues cruising at 65mph. On larger hills the van would usually slow down to about 55-60mph and then hold there. I am sure if I was in really big hills or mountain foot hills it would slow down a bit more and downshift to 2nd.

2. Your MPG is down. Without the OD turned on I would get about 16mpg on the hwy with the cruise set at 65mph. Mix in a bunch of city driving and I would be in the 14mpg range. Towing the TT I got 11.7mpg. Mine is a van and yours is a truck. The trucks usually do 1-2 mpg better than the vans. I would check all your brakes to see if they are dragging and grease your wheel bearings. Also make sure your tires are inflated correctly. An old IP/Injectors can really hurt your MPG. Mine has dropped about 2mpg since it was new.

3. To me it sounds like it is something with the fuel system. I would change the fuel filter (do the ATF or whatever you want to use trick while you are at it), check the throttle cable for stretching and bump the timing some. It very well could be a tired IP and injectors. If so the items I have listed above can help, but won't fix it. The previous owner saying the IP is fairly new doesn't mean a whole lot if you don't know the quality of the rebuild.

An NA IDI is slow, especially compared to a turbo one or other more modern diesel trucks, but they will do the job reliably. Before you look for a newer truck I would suggest you hunt around for a turbo kit for yours. Used truck kits can be found for around $500 if you are patient. For a newer truck you would probably spend more than $500 in the price difference.

Just my thoughts from driving my 7.3 NA van for over 100K miles.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I can’t afford a newer truck right now. I have too much tied up in this one. So no, im not looking to replace. As it is, the prospect of repairs on this are a little out of the question.

Well, beyond the glow plug relay dying. I need to replace it in a couple days. It’s now to the point I have to hit it with the plastic handle of a big screwdriver (as not cross terminals) to get it to function more often. It did that once a month or less ago but has been ok again until yesterday. I can replace that myself at least.

I only had to hit it once yesterday morning because it was over 80 degrees so even after it sat for hours, it started ok in the late afternoon without the plugs.

It’s a pain to do it, I have to totally remove the air cleaner then go turn the key to check if it’s working.

In the meantime yes it’s going to cost me more fuel but oh well. In the short term, it is more affordable. I’m having to pay down credit cards right now. I guess I need to also save $50-100 a month if possible to put toward repairs, maybe in fall or even next winter.

At least I’m not going out west this year. I guess I will try to stick to secondary highways like I have been thus far. Yes hills are steeper than interstates usually but there is less traffic and sometimes lower speed limits.

It doesnt feel like it’s going to leave me stranded, just a bit weak in power.

I made sure truck and trailer tires were inflated properly after day 1. The truck’s were a little low but now they are at 52 front/80 rear, the factory specs on the door jamb. Trailer tires are at 50, their max.

Last edited:

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t afford a newer truck right now. I have too much tied up in this one. So no, im not looking to replace. As it is, the prospect of repairs on this are a little out of the question.

Well, beyond the glow plug relay dying. I need to replace it in a couple days. It’s now to the point I have to hit it with the plastic handle of a big screwdriver (as not cross terminals) to get it to function more often. It did that once a month or less ago but has been ok again until yesterday. I can replace that myself at least.

I only had to hit it once yesterday morning because it was over 80 degrees so even after it sat for hours, it started ok in the late afternoon without the plugs.

It’s a pain to do it, I have to totally remove the air cleaner then go turn the key to check if it’s working.

In the meantime yes it’s going to cost me more fuel but oh well. In the short term, it is more affordable. I’m having to pay down credit cards right now. I guess I need to also save $50-100 a month if possible to put toward repairs, maybe in fall or even next winter.

At least I’m not going out west this year. I guess I will try to stick to secondary highways like I have been thus far. Yes hills are steeper than interstates usually but there is less traffic and sometimes lower speed limits.

It doesnt feel like it’s going to leave me stranded, just a bit weak in power.

I made sure truck and trailer tires were inflated properly after day 1. The truck’s were a little low but now they are at 52 front/80 rear, the factory specs on the door jamb. Trailer tires are at 50, their max.

Then I would do the best you can with what you have. Replace the fuel filter, advance the timing some, lube all bearings and check the brakes for dragging. When you replace the fuel filter fill it with ATF or Diesel fuel additive......then start the truck, let it idle for about 15 seconds and turn off and let it sit over night. The go out and run it hard for a bit.

As far as the GP thing, instead of spending the $$ on a new controller, why don't you just do the push button mod? Then you can simply hold the button down for 8-15 seconds (depending on temp) prior to starting it. This would take your controller out of the picture and you wouldn't need to worry about it malfunctioning and leaving you stranded.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes, you can put the glow plug relay on a switch to manually control glowplugs. $10 for a switch and some wire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online