First forum post ever

Jtdogbear

Reaction score
Greetings all.
I’ve learned too many lessons the hard way and thought it may be good to try something else as I contemplate my next new old truck. And that’s where you all come in. I hope to Start a discussion/argument as to what’s the best old Ford, which of coarse depends on one’s perspective and intended use.
I’ve nailed down my must have list to a bunch of features and have gone though 5 powerstroke diesels (94.5 to 97) in the past 10 years. Although I’m generally satisfied with the PS, I do not like the complexity and cost of electronic crap. I do pull mt passes with 7 or 8000 lbs so i do like the extra power of the later PS. All I’ve ever heard about the idi is the same old story... slug, especially in the high elevations. I am old and slow too so that isn’t necessarily a deal breaker but if I have 50 cars behind me pulling a grade, that isn’t exactly ideal either. I started to think maybe the 93 and early 94 factory turbo idi may do the job? I’ve also thought of jumping ship after 40 years of Ford trucks and going over to a dodge or chev. I really hate the e4od and it’s getting hard to find a manual truck. Besides the problems common to these trannys, I don’t want a computer telling me when to shift and/or the fact that 2nd always seems to low and 3rd too high pulling a pass w/ a trailer. And overdrive is pretty much out of the question especially w the higher rear end.
I like the older body style but really wish the f series would have put in that 3 or 4th door in the ext cab earlier that they did.
Any thoughts you guys share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
BTW, my non negotiable are; 4x4, diesel, ext (possibly crew) cab, manual trans, long bed...and being from MN, I HATE rust and buy my trucks on the rainy coast.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil Burners jtdogbear. You have described what almost everyone here wants. I had a 1992 F-350 diesel and I loved it except for hauling loads over mountains. It was slow and smoked a lot. There are many good people here that can help you look. Good Luck in your hunt!

Jtdogbear

Reaction score
Thanks Dave,
I guess I already know the answer to my own question, which is along the lines of “there ain’t no free lunch”. I haven’t had and won’t expect any takers on my questions since the issue has pretty much already been exhaustively discussed on this fine site and elsewhere. If I decide to go with a pre PS, I definitely will be back here asking for and hopefully offering, help. Thanks again, happy truckin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online