First Diesel Purchase

JParson

Reaction score
Just purchased my first diesel truck. It’s a 1994 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3 IDI Turbo. Everything is stock from what I can tell. Well Maintained. 147,000 miles First trip was went I bought it home. Drove it from Missouri to Mississippi. I averaged 17 MPG with the cruise set on 70. I am a new diesel truck owner, so I wanted to introduce my rig. I will be coming around for helpful information to keep my truck running great. Here is a picture. It was a proud moment about to cross into Mississippi out of Memphis.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tim McKay

Reaction score
Very Nice!
You will enjoy the greater capabilities of the diesel, at about the same gas milage I got in my Toyota Tacoma.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Nice. Must be E4OD if it's getting 17. I get about 14-15 hwy in my 87 F250 C6. The A/T tires make it get worse than it got when it had balding A/S.

JParson

Reaction score
Yes it is an E4OD. Trans shifts smooth every time. I am going to keep the H/T tire on it because she will never leave pavement. Even 14 - 15 still isn't bad for what is under the hood. All I had to do to mine so far is change the tach sensor due to it not working at low RPM's 500 -1500. I read that it will cause the trans to go into limp mode and the O/D light to flash. SO $50 and 5 mins swap out seemed worth it.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!

Nice looking rig. One thing to consider changing is the exhaust downpipe on the turbocharger. The factory pipe has a dimple put into it so the diesel would not out perform the 460 gasser. The change will not affect mileage but will give more power when needed.

JParson

Reaction score
I have been looking into some upgrades to help her breathe more. I never would have thought about the down pipe. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Also would it be worth going with an aftermarket air filter housing? The factory setup looks like it is restrictive. I know air flow is important for performance.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Factory Air cleaner keeps the intake pulses quiet. Some cut out the soup bowl inside to breathe better, if you can stand the added noise.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. You guys sure seem to know your stuff.
Looks like I came to the right place.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory Air cleaner keeps the intake pulses quiet. Some cut out the soup bowl inside to breathe better, if you can stand the added noise.
He’s got a factory turbo. It runs the cast aluminum filter housing. No soup bowl.

I think it flows ok for stock or near stock power, but the filter is kinda small, so you want to stay on top of changing it.

JParson

Reaction score
The filter is small. It didnt look like it had been in long but was starting show debris, so I changed it. That is correct. I have the aluminum filter housing on top of the motor. Then the air inlet is plumped to the front of the hood from there. At the front of the hood it gets narrow. Everything is stock which is why I was interested in picking it up. Well maintained the previous owner took pride in it. The coolant was my major concern but a quick test with a coolant strip took that worry away.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a R&D video on the tube showing a test with and without the breather on the dyno and it made more power with the factory breather.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resist the temptation to use a K&N or that style washable gauze filter. Allows small particles through that eventually wear turbo blades especially in dusty environment.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s got a factory turbo. It runs the cast aluminum filter housing. No soup bowl.

I think it flows ok for stock or near stock power, but the filter is kinda small, so you want to stay on top of changing it.
Wish he was closer to me. I have new filter for Factory Turbo that I'll give to anyone that can pick it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online