FIPL fun

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how much this little part can effect our trucks (and vans).
I've had this truck a little shy of a year and it's run great but steadily it's been having shifting issues ie hard 2nd gear shifts, miss shifts, occasional unlocks at cruising speeds, etc, but not all the time. Sometimes it'll drive like a hack hammer and others smooth as buttah so I figured it was electrical and not mechanical. Did a bunch of reading on this forum and ruled out the usual suspects, vss was within spec, solenoids were within spec, cleaned all connectors at the transmission, etc. Came down to the psom or fipl. The fipl was reading within range at 1.25 idle but figured I'd clean the connection. Went to pull it off and the fipl literally disintegrated in my hands, just physically separated into a bazillion pieces. The inside contact pads clearly had arcing and the connector fingers were mad corroded. Slapped a new one on and it was reading 1.38 where the previous filp was sitting at so the old one must have really been messed up. Reset to 1.20 and she's smooth as glass now. It's crazy how such a little item can cause so much headache.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to take a 0.1 uf or so capacitor, in series with an old pair of headphones, listen between wiper and ground. Listen for crackles and pops. The engine is not running, but the power is on.

Move the lever manually. A bad one will sound like the old style volume control in bad need of a cleaning with contact cleaner spray.

Problem is they don't make this kind of headphones anymore. You old timers know what kind I'm talking here...same ones we used on crystal radios.

Last edited:

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine before I reset mine was at 1.54.... Let me tell you full line pressure shifts at 3000rpm weren't great. It's not great now but I think my E40D has a shift kit and an aftermarket computer. It shifts a bit hard sometimes but I guess it is an old work horse.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall reading these tps switches are best replaced around 75,000 miles.Every time your throttle is moved so is the contact inside these switches moving. This movement rubs and eventually wears out the contacts. Then all kinds of problems with shifting happen... Glad you "found n fixed" the issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online