Filter minder location

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't have done that.... lol
Plenty of other testing done that shows in the end of the filter will have more vacuum, than in the pipe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have done that.... lol
Plenty of other testing done that shows in the end of the filter will have more vacuum, than in the pipe.

Well then we are about to find out. Worst case the hole can be plugged very easily and safely.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

:***: :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Soooo....after I got to work I popped the hood and this is what I saw. I'm going to try and find a way to swap the filter minders to double check they read the same both ways but this is kinda funny.

Edit:
And just for a refresh I pull about 12-13psi empty at WOT up a medium hill on the way to work. At this point the waste gate is pushed open(the tube is unhooked) and it levels out.
That's starting at 75mph and I was doing 90+ by the time I got off it. Whoops. :D
That's also a maximum-airflow scenario for me: 90+mph in 5th gear put me right at 33-3400rpm.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Interesting. The psd guys were seeing the opposite.
But otoh, never saw anything factual.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well heres the same minder that showed 0 movement in the head of the filter on the way to work showing 22inH20 on the way home. The other minder showed 25inH20 so they are close for sure, not perfect. (The bungee is because the threads in this one are smaller than the barb fitting on the other. It was the best I could do at the time!)

This is totally conclusive that the 3" tube IS restrictive in this setup and a very poor place for the filter minder.
It apparently also shows that once again PSD guys are full of fluff! :rotflmao

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know that it shows conclusively the 3” is restrictive, but it is really interesting. Vacuum readings do some funky things, if you really wanted to know if 3” was a restriction, put the truck on a dyno and then swap the 3” for 4” and see if it makes a difference in power. Remember that low vacuum equals lower velocity, there’s scenarios where a larger plenum or intake piping actually looses power and vice versa

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know that it shows conclusively the 3” is restrictive, but it is really interesting. Vacuum readings do some funky things, if you really wanted to know if 3” was a restriction, put the truck on a dyno and then swap the 3” for 4” and see if it makes a difference in power. Remember that low vacuum equals lower velocity, there’s scenarios where a larger plenum or intake piping actually looses power and vice versa
I guess I'm trying to say something I don't quite have the words for... i didnt mean that the 3" tube was hurting my engine performance, but rather that the 3" tube closed down the available area for the same amount of air to travel through compared to the big honkin air filter and so caused extra vacuum in that area. Vacuum that doesn't hurt engine performance but does trip the filter minder.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get it, the increased vacuum may even just be because the velocity of the air picks up when it hit the smooth surface of the pipe, so many variables it’s hard to say why you’re getting the result you got

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An interesting note on the factory turbo filter minder, maybe can give you a baseline to know how much vacuum is normal

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet sounds good to me! Thanks Wes. I read everything I could on the filter minder website and they pretty much only have 25" and 30" minders that I could see. So not a big swing but still good to know.