Filter head chip

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*apparently this has been my leak all along*

So i got the heater removed out of filter head but when i got it out i see a chip, couldn't see if with the heater in, all went good and i saw that and said a few words, put the doman plug 555-012 in and got it started with no bleeding of lines which was a first.
Question is there any compound one can get to possibly fix that or i need another filter head, this is the shade tree crap that ****** me off when working on stuff, their was rtv sealer on top that connector and couldn't see the chip pc..

Attachments

• 20220529_163843.jpg
    20220529_163843.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Interesting choice to plug it, usually we tap it with a pipe thread tap and put a pipe plug in it.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting choice to plug it, usually we tap it with a pipe thread tap and put a pipe plug in it.
Yeah i saw a couple more from the idi fb page a d said they had not had a leak issue but that chip is the achiles heal dadgum it.. im gonna attempt a jb weld and probably get on ebay for a 6.9 filter head and be done with all those plugs etc..
I can say the only place it is seeping is the chip spot .. man thinks he got so.ething fixed and 2 more pop up lol

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are fewer filter options with the 6.9 filter head. No water separator drain. If it’s not leaking now, it looks like you will probably be fine as is. I have an unmolested 7.3 filter head I can sell you if you want. Just shoot me a PM.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry guys hay season in full swing so i been MIA.. i was able to get that leak stopped, still having a drain back issue next step is a check valve in the supply side see if that stops it.. but i can start it with out draining the batteries..
a check valve in the return would seem counter productive since it is supposed to drain back, so we will see ..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
a check valve in the return would seem counter productive since it is supposed to drain back, so we will see ..
Absolutely right. In fact, it would be a bad thing to do. There isn't supposed to be much pressure at all in the return lines. Wes (Classic Diesel Designs) said that if you have too much pressure in the return system, the injector pump won't be able to pump fuel and the engine will shut down. Since there's only two ways to install a check valve, one way will give you the same thing that you have now (just with the valve to flow through) while the other way will stop the fuel from flowing at all. You do not want to install a check valve in the return lines.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a replacement fuel filter housing on Amazon for $40. Possibly cheaper elsewhere but here’s the Amazon link:
F2tz9b249a 6.9L 7.3L Diesel Fuel Filter Housing Header for F150 F250 F350 F Super Duty E150 E250 E350 1983-1994 https://a.co/d/6B3b660

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just so everybody is aware, this is not a direct plug and play for the 6.9 trucks. I'm not sure about the 1987 models. Cubey would be able to say for sure. It will work, on a 6.9, but it is different.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Just so everybody is aware, this is not a direct plug and play for the 6.9 trucks. I'm not sure about the 1987 models. Cubey would be able to say for sure. It will work, on a 6.9, but it is different.

What it looks like on my 87 F250:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So it's the same as all of the other 6.9 filter heads.

For trucks anyway. The van filter head looks totally different but take the same 6.9 filter as trucks.

The head is cast as part of bracket in vans.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes but we weren't talking about vans here. The Amazon link pictured a filter head for 7.3 powered trucks. The filter heads are the same for all vans plus all of the Internationals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.