Ferret 765

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking at the registry and the closest person is like 6 hrs one way from me so I can justify purchasing a timing adaptor/full setup for timing my truck or others. does anyone have any suggestions on what meter works best and gives the best results

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have a guy I work with that has a ferrit and was saying he wanted $350 for it I've seen other brands around I just want to make sure I'm getting a good deal and product

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems expensive... I think my Ferrit was 200 - 250 brand new.

My ferret meter was about 200-some dollars new, but they are now out-of-stock, so the price is up.

If I didn't have my own ferret meter, then I'd be willing to pay a little more for the Ferret brand now. So far after dozens of timings, I have no complaints from the Ferret brand, aside from the fact that they discontinued the item.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks gensceipter I'm going to see if I can work out a deal for it Monday I personally didn't think it was too bad of a price but I know there are cheaper out there but this one I can see and hold vefor I pay

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did. Hope someone else wasn't going to get it. I thought about it & decided I'd just go ahead & get it.
Now all I have to do is find a timing lite & learn how to use this Ferret set-up.

You stole it at that price, mine was a little over 2 bills back when they had good stock.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my existing ferret meter ever breaks down, I'm going to be kicking myself for not buying that $125 meter as a backup.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This forum ahs done expensive testing on meters. What works the best and is the easiest to use is the Kent Moore J33300-A meter. It will time several different ways. Probably the simplest is the pulse probe mode. You clean two locations. Install the probes. Power up the meter and press one rocker switch. Start engine and rev to 2000 rpm watching the meter timing and rpm on the digital display. You have just made a timing shot and know exactly withing a tenth of a degree what you timing is.These meters retail for around $800.00 but... You can buy them used on ebay all the time around 200 to 300 bucks. Just make sure you get the needed probes. The line clamp costs around $75.00. The harness is another $150.00 and the magnetic probe is around $400.00. Know what your buying before you buy. I can be of help if you find one and want to know if its all there. These meters have a microprocessor that does all the timing for you. No timing light to try to shoot the timing tab. Just clean, connect and start engine. Easy. Also the Kent Moore J33300 meter is an easier model and work the same but do not buy the one with the red display. Its a vacuum tube idea and when it fails there are no replacements available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online