Good to hear Mel.
Glad there is another vendor available.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just scored this one:
You must be registered for see images attach
what timing light do y'all suggest for this application? Not looking to brake the bank, but I don't want junk either!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My apologies again. It's Gunson 77089. I wrote it down to check out later and couldn't read my own writing. It was in a post from June 7 called Timing. Amazon has them listed for just over $100. Right next to an Innova timing light for just under $100.

Thanks friend! The Gunson is coming up at $250 plus on Amazon...

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only special thing a timing light needs for the diesel application is the adjustable advance on it, as our cranks only have one mark, at 0*TDC. So you need to dial in your advance and you're good.

I personally have a cheap harbor freight meter, and a garage sale snap-on, they both read exactly the same so I'm pretty happy.

That said, the best setup would be to get one with a tach built in too! Then you can do everything from under the hood without needing a helper, and our stock tachs aren't good in the first place.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only special thing a timing light needs for the diesel application is the adjustable advance on it, as our cranks only have one mark, at 0*TDC. So you need to dial in your advance and you're good.

I personally have a cheap harbor freight meter, and a garage sale snap-on, they both read exactly the same so I'm pretty happy.

That said, the best setup would be to get one with a tach built in too! Then you can do everything from under the hood without needing a helper, and our stock tachs aren't good in the first place.

That sounds like a plan. I'd imagine that getting a light with a tach function that would work for us might be a bit tricky. So the perfect light would have a tach (that works for the idi) and advance. While I'm wishing, let's make the tach and advance visible on that same screen - less than $150 while we're at it :rolleyes:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
That sounds like a plan. I'd imagine that getting a light with a tach function that would work for us might be a bit tricky. So the perfect light would have a tach (that works for the idi) and advance. While I'm wishing, let's make the tach and advance visible on that same screen - less than $150 while we're at it :rolleyes:

I've got a Ferret....... it's in my toolbox at work....

Holy ****....... I was going to make fun of your wanting to only spend $150, but here you go you lucky SOB! LOL

ON SALE THROUGH SEARS MARKETPLACE AT $170!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.sears.com/ferret-tach-advance-dwell-volts-timing-light/p-SPM5842732801?rrec=true

That picture isn't the ferret 86, but the model and information is....

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Ferrett....... it's in my toolbox at work....

Holy ****....... I was going to make fun of your wanting to only spend $150, but here you go you lucky SOB! LOL

ON SALE THROUGH SEARS MARKETPLACE AT $170!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.sears.com/ferret-tach-advance-dwell-volts-timing-light/p-SPM5842732801?rrec=true

"Ferret" from Sears-

"Innova" from amazon, Autozone, etc -

Look about identical to me...

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Look about identical to me...

Which is why I'd edited it to say the picture wasn't a ferret even though the model and information is.
You must have been making that post while I was editing it, one minute difference in my edit and your post. LOL

I'd take the chance if I was in the market, only one seller has that price, the rest are the normal $300+, and if it wasn't the Ferret, I'd be contacting Sears and saying "Now just wait a darn minute......"

I don't put much stock in a website stock picture anyway, it's almost never the proper item in my experience.

I've never had a problem returning something bought off the Sears website, whether it was returned to my local Sears (now gone), or local Kmart.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks friend! The Gunson is coming up at $250 plus on Amazon...
I was wrong again. I was looking at the OTC 3398 fuel injection pulse tester at the top of the page and thought it was the Gunson 77089. I'm not much of an Amazon shopper. I should have scrolled down a little bit. I tried to help someone and I get everything wrong.:dunno

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Another alternative is the Mac ET18DPM. I picked mine up at a pawn shop in Montana for $25. It is the same thing as the Snap MT 257 in a different package. Seems to go for less since in isn't Snap On, but same clamp on adaptor etc.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snap-on still makes the MT257b under the blue-point brand. On their site it lists for $306

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm confused is the amazon link above a light that works for our engines with the wrong picture? And is it all we need to time them? I know nothing about timing but need to learn

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online