fan clutch making noise?

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the truck is started cold I get a clicking noise coming from the fan clutch area, I think its the clutch slipping? once the truck is warm it goes away wont comeback until truck sits over night and is started cold

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Definitely replace that before it decides to vacate the premises, as in, takes a trip through your radiator.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bump, wouldnt the fan be wobbly if it was shot?

or is the clicking noise a telltale sign to replace?

these are expensive and I don't wanna go blow money on it if its just making a little noise

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Well fan clutches are certainly cheaper than radiators. If it goes, and i'm not saying it will because i dont know if it could even come apart, it will tear up a radiator. My suggestion is to take off the fan clutch and start it up and see if that solved the noise. There are members here who have permanently locked up their clutch with a Mig welder.

Also you could get the truck warmed up and block off the radiator to see if the fan clutch engages.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bump, wouldnt the fan be wobbly if it was shot?

or is the clicking noise a telltale sign to replace?

these are expensive and I don't wanna go blow money on it if its just making a little noise

You need to know where that noise is coming from. It may not be the fan cltuch at all.

If your fan is moving with front/back pressure, the bearing in the fan clutch or the bearing in the water pump is failing.

Heath

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I need to check deeper into it, serpentine belt and every idler pulley+ the tensioner is only maybe 2 months old, I like the idea of welding the fan hub, is there any downside to that?

also dont I need a special wrench to get the fan off?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave S over at FTE estimated the fan to take around 20,or maybe 25 hp (can't recall which now,bout i could find the thread easy enough)
when the fan clutch locks up.
that's a lot of ponies.a very high % of the idi's power if you wanted to do the math.you would see a drop in fuel economy too.
i'm also not sure how healthy that would be on the engine when you turn it off.
some people have done it.i never would.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
the wrench is not so much special as it is very large. the wrench is 1-7/8. a badass adjustable wrench works but this wrench has a square hole on the handle where you can put a ratchet for additional leverage.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDQQ8wIwAg#

I personally would buy one or make one. Napa and all them might rent them but they are usually thin (1/4" and below) you really want one thats 3/8 or so plate so it wont splay out when you are standing on a 10 foot breaker bar. youll also want a healper to hold a strap/chain wrench around the pulley. upon reassembly i recommend a few drops of blue locktite to keep that puppy on there when you shut the engine off.

remember it is left hand threaded on there .

gatorman21218

Reaction score
+ the tensioner is only maybe 2 months old,

just cuz its new dont mean it works. i got a bad rebuit hydroboost right out of the box.

that being said, I agree with heath. a bad w/p bearing might be making that fan shake like a ***** in a church.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok started truck a few minutes ago, in our snowstorm to check where the clicking is coming from lol, it doesn't sound like its coming from the fan clutch at all it sounds as its coming from my air conditioner bypass pulley bearing or its coming from my powersteering pump.

Now I do have a powersteering leak I have not fixed yet, the pump also whines whenever turning the wheel, I have noticed since it has started snowing when I get in the truck if I don't let it run for a long minute I don't have any powersteering.

Also this noise sounds like pebbles being thrown at a glass window

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on my post above?

I think maybe moisture gets in through my leaky steering lines and maybe freezes the pump maybe the noise is the pump trying to pass an ice block through it who knows?