Fan Belt Tensioner

mariobusalacch

Reaction score
I noticed a squeeking sound comming from my engine today, it turns out it is comming from my fan belt tensioner.......it looks like the thing is moving a little bit (it is tightly fastend to the mount, and doesnt move there, but moves where the pivot is) and that is what seems to cause it to squeek. I was wondering if this is something I should be worried about, should I replace it?

Thanks again, Mario

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mario-
did you replace the belt yet?
also, while the truck is running, check the pullies to see if one is deformed and wobbling around. that's usually the fastest killer for the tensioners.
and no you should not be able to move the tensioner by hand unless you have the strength of hercules.

mariobusalacch

Reaction score
I did replace the belt last week, the pulleys look straight as well, but I was going through the paperwork, and all the mechanic bills the guy gave me and one says "needs new tensioner" and it just so happends there is a brand new one from motorcraft in the truck........LOL huh.......so I guess ill just swap them out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Does your tensioner have the open or closed spring. Does it have a shock absorber on it. These are the three differant types of tensioners for the serpentine belt setup. Being your truck is a 94 it may have the updateded tensioner with the shock on it. This upgrade requires a differnat aluminum mount on that side of the motor. It has only three bolts that hold it to the head but... Its the mount for the vacuum pump, ac comperssor and the power steering pump. Lots to remove and reinstall if you try to upgrade it... I have both serpentine belt setups. I keep one for spares.....:D