Factory Turbo upgrades

Joe Martin

Reaction score
I own a '94 7.3 factory turbo. Wanting to get at least 325HP out of it. What are some recommendations? Been looking at swapping to a hypermax pulse turbo. Not sure if that would be beneficial or not. What direction would you go?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll need more than that hypermax turbo to get 325 from an IDI.

You're looking at head studs, new high displacement Injection pump, new injectors, and possibly a better turbo than that hypermax. You can get power from these but it ain't cheap.

Look into the turbo kits offered by Conestoga Diesel and R&D.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a hypermax on my truck and am happy it's an 86 6.9 but I'm not making 325 but I will say I tow a lot with my truck and it does it very reliably and i have fun the whole time

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hypermax turbo uses the same wheels as your turbo you already have, it’s not an upgrade. You won’t get to that power level without pulling the engine and doing some key upgrades, but you can get pretty decent power just by doing some tuning of the stock setup, do you have any gauges in the truck for egts and boost?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can have Russ modify your factory turbo better wheels or buy a r and d drop in stage 1 turbo. Hypermax/banks/ ats are all about the same becaus they are all “stock” turbos. Then need some more fuel and intercooler and you’ll be pulling good, probably not 325 at the wheels though but the torque numbers difinatly gonna be up there!

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re looking for power then throw your cash to R&D, personally speaking I know what I have... and it’s not worth the investment. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online