Factory ATS upgrades

pafixitman

Reaction score
Trying to sort thru what I was told at the rally... cookoo

I have a factory ATS turbo sitting at home. If I understand correctly...

I should upgrade the (useless) factory down pipe to 3".
In order to do this I need a ATS outlet housing. They also have a upgrade turbine housing. Now money IS an object (since Steph found out I am not going to bolt on what I bought -cuss ) so should I get all 3? I think even if I could make the new dp attach to the outlet, it will be a mute point since the outlet is 2.25". I also need the new tranny module since I have a slush box.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe, I'm not up to date on the actual turbo outlet size issue. I wouldn't think it would matter that much, as I'm sure it factors into the boost it makes, but then again, maybe it needs an upgrade to make more. :confused: I'm watching for an authoritative post.

pafixitman

Reaction score
ATS

Most of the dealers just show ATS' site and ATS' site is not the best. I recall Aric saying I needed the outlet to go w/ the pipe. Someone else said I did not. The outlet is $270, DP is $80 and an upgraded turbine housing is $150. Either ATS J&H Diesel or Ken's site said the factory outlet housing is 2.25". The new DP is 3.5". ATS also states that the DP will only bolt to ??? (forgot the #) part. Indicating to me there is a difference in the flanges.

Also thinking of a set of DPS stage 1 injectors...Your thoughts?

bsays

Longgreenford
Reaction score
Turbo

I did the ATS factory turbo upgrade and it made a BIG difference, I got the upgraded turbo exhaust housing (ATS says it makes the turbo spool up faster with less back pressure) the 3" outlet housing and the 3" downpipe. Also at the same time I got the DPS stage I injectors, Runs like a whole new truck.

pafixitman

Reaction score
ATS

Bsays,
So you replaced 3 parts? The turbine housing, the elbow and the DP? Are my $$ in line w/ what you paid? Who did you order from? Ken for everything?

My truck has the Banks exhaust already so I would like to avoid having to buy the complete exhaust. If you noticed a huge difference, I can only imagine what a change going from NA to a "hopped up" turbo will be like.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my two cents

JOE

As you know from my past let me say this. We ran na to the meet in NC then when we got home i put the turbo on. going with the factory piping i have not upgraded to the bigger piping and ours does fine. If money is an issue right now i would put it on as is and run it. You will get the :D factor just by adding the turbo.

Just my thoughts, the dog house gets hot this time of year :backoff

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Hi Joe one big thing I noticed was it helped cool down EGT's I only bought the elbow and down pipe with the waste gate I couldn't see why you would need it any quicker there is no way the ATS DP will work with out the elbow althought I have heard banks makes an upgrade Dp that works with the stock turbo but if you want the bigger DP and elbow from ATS DO IT BEFORE YOU PUT THE TURBO ON other wise you will need to pull the tranny or turbo to change it

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe, Good idea that BJ had, bolt her on and enjoy until you get the money to do the whole deal...now what Aric said makes sense and is what I was thinking too. You'll have to unbolt everything when the time comes. :mad: BJ could probably do it with his eyes closed! LOL Of course Mel did say he wanted to get more familiar with the ATS so it could give ya'll alot of practice putting it all back together! Maybe you'll get as good as BJ!! ;Sweet

bsays

Longgreenford
Reaction score
Turbo

Yea I changed 3 parts, Turbine housing, Outlet housing, and down pipe.
I got my those 3 parts direct from ATS, there tech support was great, after all they designed the thing. If your are sure you are going to do all the upgrades I would wait till you had the money and do it all mine was a real bogger to get apart, it was no easy job. Just my opinion.
If you need any more help or install info give me a shout.
Also the biggest improvement with the upgraded turbine housing is that the turbine is more efficient and therefore can make the same amount of boost with less back pressure, less back pressure = more air = lower EGTs = turn the pump up more....... Get the picture.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe, looks like you need to spend some more money buddy. :rolleyes:

pafixitman

Reaction score
ATS

Bsays - Thanks! Got the picture! ;Sweet

I don't want to do this half-assed just to say I have a turbo on the truck. I place a dollar value on my time, so that plays into the equation also. Looking at the factory DP it is easy to see that it should never have been made. Mine has a crack where it is pinched anyway. Price wise the elbow and injectors are the big $$.

I guess I will jump in with both feet. Housing, elbow, DP, stage 1 injectors, new return lines, and a Holley red pump.

Gruss - we will have a rematch when I am done! :peelout

bsays

Longgreenford
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I guess I will jump in with both feet. Housing, elbow, DP, stage 1 injectors, new return lines, and a Holley red pump.

It cost to be cool :thumbsup:
No really, you won't regreat spending the extra money, I just wish this stuff would have been availible in 1994 when I bought the thing.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I have done 3 of the mods, all were with the out-let housing, down pipe and full exhaust from ATS. On both my 94's the difference was like nite and day, same with my buddy's. All were done on the turbo in the truck. 2 were sort of ok (lots of swearing and skin lost) the last one was a complete nitemare, the 5/16 - 12 point bolts on the housing rounded, so we had to remove the turbo. Could not get the T pipe apart (the one the exhaust and inlet pipe fits into) The inlet-pipe bolts on the turbo were rounded, ended up cutting the inlet-pipe off with a saws all. If you can do it with the turbo off you will be father ahead (inlet pipe was 180+) Just remember you have to bend and flattern the seam on the firewall. Good luck. If you need more info on the mods let me know.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Joe, I think that is the way to go, get it done all in one shot, take your time and do it right ;Sweet
I think you will really like the results!

I am still kicking around the Stage 1 injectors myslelf,....need,.....want,.....need,.......want,..........Yea, I NEED them. that's it! :rolleyes:

I am going out to see Ken tomorrow,....... :eek: