F-800

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for pros and cons of this setup. I know it is not idi but I know y'all are a fountain of insight.
1998 f-800 5.9 cummins, Allison auto, 162000 miles. Air brakes, air ride suspension. Crew cab.

Considering this for tow vehicle for 10,000+ lbs boat and 35ft fifth wheel. Is this viable or just overkill.

Thanks for any insight and anything to consider.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
in my opinion, you can never have too big a tow vehicle
I tow 5k on a daily basis with my truck, I used to use a 91 f-150, and while they will both move it, one is a helluva lot more stable and stops a lot easier

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
not sure what allison it has.. if its a non lockup direct 1:1 top gear then i may stay away or start looking for a fuller/eaton to swap in.

cant go wrong with a 215hp P-pump

i have no experience with those chassis

Looking for pros and cons of this setup. I know it is not idi but I know y'all are a fountain of insight.
1998 f-800 5.9 cummins, Allison auto, 162000 miles. Air brakes, air ride suspension. Crew cab.

Considering this for tow vehicle for 10,000+ lbs boat and 35ft fifth wheel. Is this viable or just overkill.

Thanks for any insight and anything to consider.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure what allison it has.. if its a non lockup direct 1:1 top gear then i may stay away or start looking for a fuller/eaton to swap in.

cant go wrong with a 215hp P-pump
Agreed completely. You should be good with this truck overall, but Allisons have a habit of sucking power...unless you really want to keep the slushbox, I would be thinking about a manual transmission.

Otherwise, sounds like a nice rig ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy crap.put me down for an overkill for towing a 5ver.id never do it.i suppose as long as you've got your cdl and are not limited/affected with these fuel prices you can do whatever you want,but it's needless to use so much rig for those pickup size tows imho.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO it'll either one of the greatest tow vehicles every (if it's been taken care of). Or it'll be a giant headach... and you'll be turning wrenches on your tow vehicle. I personally would go for it... but i also tend to enjoy journies more than destinations.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
If it is not an electronic Allison I would say you will be unhappy wit the trans. The AT540 or 545 is basically an outgrowth of the Turbo 400 (shares a few parts even) and has no converter lockup thus generates a lot of heat and has no holdback. The electronic World series trans solves both of these and prforms well. Another however less likely choice is a MT643 or 653 which is hydraulic control but very rugged, normally good to 300hp. Shifting can be.......firm. The 600 series will suck some power from a B series Cummins because it is designed for bigger engines like the C series 8.3. I've dealt with every variation of Allisons in my fleet for the past 35 years.
Check out legal implications such as insurance, licsencing, registration, etc in your state or states.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the input. I apologize for not responding during the day. I posted this in western Mississippi and then drove home to Northeast Alabama. I do have my cdl, I will certainly weigh the transmission advice. Contrary to my good friend fordf250hdxlt, I want to put a dually bed on it and have a big honkin pick up. It's tempting, could just be over compensation lol. Any other thoughts and comments are appreciated.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. F-800 did not have overdrive transmission. As tempting as it was I relented and took Fordf250hdxlt's advice more or less. Bought a 97 f-350 cc dually. Still have my idi, waiting to see which I prefer.
Thanks for all the advice, f-800 would have been nice until I had to fix something f-350 parts are plenty heavy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I have been watching and reading so heres my feelings on towing what you have in mind. That 5.9 is a small powerful engine. But its 360 ci. Pulling as much weight as your asking it to really will work it hard. Every thing has a duty cycle. Your post did not clearly tell us you would be hauling both or one item at a time. Either way I think you stressing the engine. A good example is my daughters horse trainer running a GMC 4500 hauling a loaded 8 horse trailer with gear. That Duramax is the same engine in any GMC or chevy pickup but its gear like 5.26 or higher to move the 26,000 plus load. I drove it to Tulsa and back a few years ago and it didn't get more than 6 mpg. Not good. That engine let go a year after I drove that trip. Number 1 cylinder dropped a injecter tip and it ate the engine. It was a 2004 with factory know problems so GM paid the $11,000.00 for another engine in Kingman Az. Kind of nice they stepped up and did that. But she has had much more trouble with that engine too but GM continues to pay and fix it. She is running what I feel is well past the 100% duty cycle stressing that small engine. So you have a big truck like this with a small pickup truck engine and its geared to move a load. But what stress is being placed on the engine. I feel the Freightliner with the Mercedes or the Volvo engine is the better tuck to haul loads in the 25,000 plus area...

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall, waht about IDIs that were in medium duty rigs with huge gearing and 2 speed axles behind them? Wouldnt that be the same thing as the 5.9 cummins in this situation?