F-550 Turning Radius

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

The limo company I work for has two F-550 32-pax buses. The chassis and wheel bases are identical; however, according to a few of my colleagues, one of them has a considerably wider turning radius than the other one. I THINK the bus with the wider turning radius is an '04 (it's a 6.0l with the earlier front end), and the bus with the tighter turning radius is either a late '06 or an early '07.

So, just wondering, what did Ford change in the front end between the years to make the newer F-550 turn more tightly? Or are my colleagues incorrect and it's somehow a matter of perception?

Just trying to improve my mind :D thanks in advance!

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
More specifically, in ?05?, Ford shifted the pumpkin toward the center 3", allowing them to inboard the radius arm mounts on the axle end. This enable them to significantly increase the swing on the knuckle, (not hitting radius arms or leaf springs) which give them the better turning radius.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99-04 have leaf springs
the 05-current have coil springs and that is why it turns WAY better
Nail, meet head! Took a look at the older bus and it's got leaf fronts...makes perfect sense. Thanks!

More specifically, in ?05?, Ford shifted the pumpkin toward the center 3", allowing them to inboard the radius arm mounts on the axle end. This enable them to significantly increase the swing on the knuckle, (not hitting radius arms or leaf springs) which give them the better turning radius.
I'm guessing you're referring to 4x4 variants? Or did the change in pumpkin location on the 4x4 trucks somehow affect the 2 wheel drive trucks also?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online