Exhaust

Rprl

Reaction score
Hi guys. About to do the exhaust on a 93 7.3idi. I'd like to go duel right now it's a single. Just wondering how important back pressure is. Thank you in advance. Rob.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im a no muffler kind of guy, but I don't think diesels care if there is any back pressure or not. I would say go for it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back pressure is only resistance to flow, so the easier you can get the gasses through the exhaust the better. True duals works great and is definitely on my to do list.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I looked into doing true duals (make sure you bridge them at some point) but it seems like a huge PITA with the side fuel tank

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, you absolutely need a muffler.
I prefer the ones that get bolted on top of the engine.
heres a pic of my true dual front mounted mufflers.

You must be registered for see images attach

that's a good one Brian. LOL

someone might think you sell turbos and are trying to make a deal.LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Idioit's right a turbo will muffle the sound. It works for the intake as well as the exhaust. If you don't run a muffler in the exhaust, then you have the "fan at the end of a culvert" sound and that's not too bad either.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No back pressure is required for a diesel to run well. If your idi is non turbo best run a muffler. If you have a turbo it works very well chopping up the exhaust sound so no muffler is required. A turbo engine will "sound off" when under power hauling or pulling a grade.. Than any diesel engine will sound off because its working.

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
My 85 has glass pack exhaust. True dual! Yuck on glass packs on diesel!! Going to be cutting them out soon and just running a dump out the back.
Preferably I want stacks but will have to wait due to money! B

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can still get new headers for a 6.9/7.3idi but they are expensive. stan's headers makes the best set but I think they run around 800 USD for a set.
if you are going true duals may as well do it right!
You must be registered for see images

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has ever tapped those in to the hypermax style up pipes? Shorties would probably fit better though. Just thinking out loud, don't mind me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has ever tapped those in to the hypermax style up pipes? Shorties would probably fit better though. Just thinking out loud, don't mind me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that you want heat with a turbo. Headers will lose some of that so whatever you'd gain with headers, you'd lose with less efficiency from the turbo making it a moot point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online