Exhaust tubing technical data

Discussion in 'General, Performance, Upgrades & Accessories' started by Boston, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Boston

Boston Full Access Member

I'm working [email protected] on a furnace and the exhaust gasses are really hot. 700°F+ so I'm concerned about a requirement that no component emit in the visible spectrum. I could go with Stainless but that stuff is expensive and I'm thinking if I just use diesel exhaust tubing I'll be well within the specifications. But naturally it's the weekend and I can't contact the manufacture and just ask for the specs, safety data and what not.

Anyone have that info laying around ?

I'm thinking on the Dynomax 16G 3.5" exhaust steel, what's it rated working temp ;-)

Thanks guys. I need a product safety data sheet on Dynomax part number 289-41537

2. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

Well, erm, you are getting pretty close to the glowing point of steel.
    You should probably think about a double-walled setup, like they use for stoves. That would give you a hot layer of steel on the inside which might glow(but you couldn't see it), protected by a layer of insulation and then an outer layer of steel.

Diesel exhaust pipe is nothing special, and honestly it doesn't get that hot. You might have 1200F gasses pre-turbo, but the piping is much colder than that due to convection to the outside.

towcat likes this.
  3. OLDBULL8

OLDBULL8 Good Morning Ya'll. Supporting Member

What gauge is the exhaust connection?

What BTU is the furnace?

That exhaust gas temp you quote seems awful high, that's a lot of heat loss for a furnace, most furnaces emit around 200 to 300 degree exhaust.

4. Boston

Boston Full Access Member

Furnace is 85,000 BTUs/hr and the gauge is 16.

I just need to know the cycle life of the material when the temp ranges from say 700~800 to ambient. I haven't had time to contact the manufacturer. I'm sure they have some tests I can look at.

OH and it's a heat exchanger that's specifically designed to be part of the combustion area. Most furnaces have a forced air vertical leaf type arrangement. Mine uses no electricity, has no moving parts and much of the burn occurs in a semi vertical heat exchanger, which is made of this type of tubing I'm looking for specs on.

I'm working on a design for off grid living, tiny homes, people who want to build in areas where typical utilities are prohibitively pricey.

I'll just contact the manufacturer since it's a weekday now,