Exhaust soot

Charles Moore

Reaction score
I'd like to put some bikes on a bike rack on the back of my bus . But the exhaust fumes get all over everything back there and I don't want the bikes to get covered in that exhaust soot .

Any way to clean up the exhaust? I've tried some fuel system cleaners and I think that has helped but has not eliminated the problem .

What about re-routing the exhaust so it comes out the side behind the rear wheel?
Think that would help?

Thank you!

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbo would help solve that problem for you :sly

Rerouting the exhaust out the side and into the airstream passing by the bus would help too. There's a big dead zone of air that follows behind a large object, like a bus, when it goes through the air. Which is why the soot seems to hover back there and get all over the back end.

Charles Moore

Reaction score
Yeah a turbo would be nice!
I might have to hunt for a crashed truck or van with a turbo IDI and swap that over.

Id never heard of the smoke puff limiter before. Thanks for the recommendation!
I'll have to look into that

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know much about a SPL. From what I understand, it's mostly for lower RPM operation. It may not do much if you are at highway speeds and use more throttle to get up a steep grade. I may be wrong on that one though.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a smoke puff limiter for an NA diesel. All the ones I've seen are boost referenced and are therefore for turbo engines to cut back on fueling until sufficient boost is made.

Truthfully, if you're producing that much soot NA, You should just turn the pump down a flat at a time until it clears up.

Charles Moore

Reaction score
I've never seen a smoke puff limiter for an NA diesel. All the ones I've seen are boost referenced and are therefore for turbo engines to cut back on fueling until sufficient boost is made.

Truthfully, if you're producing that much soot NA, You should just turn the pump down a flat at a time until it clears up.

Thanks! I got the exhaust done for $40.

But how would I turn the pump down?

You must be registered for see images attach

Charles Moore

Reaction score

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. That doesn't look too bad.

Any reason not to turn it down a notch or two? Seems like it would lean it out too much and heat things up .

Diesel engines don't work like that. Turning it down just limits the available fuel. These are always unrestricted air and RPM is controlled by the amount of fuel injected, unlike a gas engine where the air is metered relative to the fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online