Exhaust Question

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like it opened up... but not obnoxious.....

I have an friend that has an 05 6.0... with an aftermarket exhaust (need to check the brand) but in my opinion it sounds like S**T!!!! It sounds like someone blowing in a hose... with an irritation whistle in it..... that is what he wanted.... not me..... I just want it to breath better.... if it is a bit louder, fine.... but not like his...

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diamond Eye kits whistle like crazy, even with their muffler. For an '03, a diamond eye 4" kit with their muffler would be a great setup.

I would disagree. I've installed and driven a Diamond Eye 4" kit w/ muffler on an '03. The whistle is cool for about 5 minutes. I am also not impressed with the fit of the Diamond Eye kits. They take way to much time adjusting to make them hang right, and they have more parts than necessary. They are a nice exhaust once you get them adjusted right, but I don't think it is worth the little bit of money save. For the family ride I really don't think you would like the Diamond Eye. If it was me I would go for one of the quieter brands like Banks or Hushpower. You won't be sacrificing any performance, but you may have to pay a little more.

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Banks Monster Exhaust on my 05 and I love it. Not noisy, loud or obnoxious and zero "drone" even when towing. I can't tell much of a difference between it and a stock exhaust for sound and it helped with fuel mileage. I put it on in 2005 and haven't have a lick of trouble. It replaced the entire stock exhaust. Sending you a link which does not include tax, shipping or installation, just to show you the price of the unit and the description. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performa...Model=EXCURSION&Engine=6.0L+V8+363+CID+DIESEL

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I retained the original cat. I put a cold air intake on it at the same time and with the new exhaust system; I accelerate more smoothly, it breathes noticeably easier, less back pressure, it shifts better, I have cooler EGT's, a little more HP and it's freaking CLEAN. If you have to have black smoke..this is not for you.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Not much traffic in here but I'll bring back a dead thread....

Got a MBRP 3.5 inch downpipe, removed the cat and went 4 inch from the DP back to include the MBRP muffler.

My take on this setup:

Its got a nice grumble to it but the turbo whistle (mine is an 03) is REDICULOUSLY annoying. Either I am old or my ears hear the high pitch to well but its cool for five seconds then I have to turn up the radio!!!

THad

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you guys that don't like the whistle of your 6.0's need to give them to us idi guys that don't get any whistle. i would probly need a grin-ectomy if i drove an '03 6.0l

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
you guys that don't like the whistle of your 6.0's need to give them to us idi guys that don't get any whistle. i would probly need a grin-ectomy if i drove an '03 6.0l

Yeah, the thing is that my brother and wife both complained about the whistle...super not cool. Again I must be old at 30!

DieselManor

Reaction score
The MBRP systems that we sell don't drone with the Excursion. We usually have drone problems with the duramax's only when they run a turbo back.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Our Ex has the exhuast all hacked. Someone had an exhaust on it but I think they took it off before selling it, then the dealer had to put a muffler on it. It exits under the frame before the rear tire, has a glass pack looking muffler. Actually sounds pretty good, I dont plan on changing it anytime soon. Money can be spent in better places right now.