Exhaust Manifold bolts

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Any issue with using normal grade 8 bolts in the exhaust manifold? I've read somewhere the bolts are interference threaded. My old ones came off with a 1/2" socket rather than 9/16" because they were so rusted... so I need new ones. Didn't break any though !

Thanks

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grade 8 is overkill. Grade 5 would be just fine. I'd recommend lockwashers to keep them from backing out from heat cycles and vibration.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Blue loctite is rated to 300F. If the cylinder head, where these bolt into, reaches 300F, don't I have bigger issues?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind they are in direct contact with the exhaust manifold, and heat travels through metal well. Loctite on exhaust hardware is a fairly fruitless endeavor.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind they are in direct contact with the exhaust manifold, and heat travels through metal well. Loctite on exhaust hardware is a fairly fruitless endeavor.

True...be that.

Stage 8 locking hardware or perhaps safety wire em...

ARP may have WaVe lock bolts for the application, I'm not sure.

Have you tried to purchase NEW at Ford or IHI?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The exhaust manifold are a interveriance thread. Ford or International will have them. Anything works for a while but why risk a leak. Do it once. do it right and not need to redo it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The exhaust manifold are a interveriance thread. Ford or International will have them. Anything works for a while but why risk a leak. Do it once. do it right and not need to redo it.
What he said. Early 6.9l's didn't use the interference thread bolts like later 6.9l's and all 7.3l's use; they had standard thread bolts with pieces of metal that went between two bolts and had tabs to lock the bolts in place. I made the mistake of putting the early stle bolts back on when I did my heads, and the tabs didn't lock properly...and I've had an intermittent exhast leak ever since. The problem is, at this point, I would need to remove both exhaust manifolds and replace the gaskets (after cleaning up the surfaces), which entails removing all of the pre-turbo exhaust system components (a serious PITA with an ATS 088, especially with getting the up-pipe to reseal) to get things happy...I'm living with the leak for now, but I would strongly recommend going to Ford or IH and seeing if you can source the proper interference bolts. I wish I had!!

jhenegh

Reaction score
$3.52 each at dealer. F4TZ9S425B is the number on my receipt. 14 coming my way. We'll see if they're right.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$3.52 each at dealer. F4TZ9S425B is the number on my receipt. 14 coming my way. We'll see if they're right.
I'm thinking for that amount a Drill press and some bits would to a long way to saftey wiring the bolts in place myself...works on aircraft!

jhenegh

Reaction score
Time is money right now unfortunately. Snow plow truck with an engine on an engine stand isn't a great money maker.