Excessive Black Smoke on Acceleration

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
issue : upon acceleration at any rpm with medium to heavy throttle the truck smokes very excessivly, to the point of not being able to see behind the truck

what has happened : the truck was put in for service for a minor miss off idle and when cold, my thought was injectors, other then that it ran with alot of power and very smooth, the dealer i bought it from put it in this little hole in the wall place assuming they would know what they where doing, a week and a half later i have my truck and i consider it worse then before, at least before i wasnt smoking everyone out every time i wanted to get flowing with traffic.

4 injectors have allegedly been replaced, fuel filter i am unsure of, the service writer i was talking to claims there is 'soot' in my injector lines, and that an addative has been put in place to help clean it out i very skeptical of this. if he had said the fuel was contaminated, i would have bought this, but his description of soot makes me thing im being led on

i am keeping an eye on my dipstick im skeptical that these **** heads knew what they where doing when they started diagnosis of the truck, and potetailly cracked an injector cup

anybody have any insight they may be able to shed light upon, im slightly leaning towards fuel filter a little, but a huge amount of smoke from the filter being clogged has me a little stumped, though i myself have put no diagnosis time into the truck

this has me wanting me to turn this truck in, it runs and drive great other then this BS problem, any help is greatly apreaciated

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I am no Dmax expert but a guy I work with had the same problem with smoke. The dealer he took the truck to reprogrammed the computer and changed the EGR valve. That fixed it rite up. He did have the slight miss also. I will try to ask him exactly what they did.
Ken

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it got worked out, im not even sure what it was, but i know high pressure fuel was leaking externally and internally, witch was probably my black smoke and lack of power, but the place that screwed it up had someone else fix it, so she runs real good now

rubberfish

Reaction score
the place that screwed it up had someone else fix it, so she runs real good now
That's a pretty good ending. :) Glad it all worked out.
Would have been kind of ****** to get a "new to you"
truck and have issues to work out to get it right.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would, but now it runs like a top, got 15.1 towing around 5k with an 18ft flat bed trailor and i just got 17.1 unloaded about 50/50 mix of highway and city mileage

shes running good, my egde with juice will be on this week to, and the mileage should go up a little from that also

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Made a trip up to Colorado this last weekend. Mostly 2 lanes going up. First 400+ miles was with cruise set at 60-65mph. Used barely half a tank of fuel. Didn't figure it, but I'm guessing 23 mpg or better. Second half of trip was on the interstate with cruise set at 75mph. Fuel mileage went way down. Probably around 18-19mpg. The sweet spot seems to be about 70mph on my truck. Below that it seems I can drive forever on a tank of fuel. Above that and $4.24 a gallon starts to hurt.LOL I had driven about 600 miles and the tank was between 1/4 and 1/2 full when I dropped another $70 in to get home. It didn't fill it up and I didn't do the math, but I estimate I got about 250 miles farther than I would have in my turbo'd '92 IDI on the same amount of fuel.

Can't wait til the warranty is up so I can add a programmer!

Tom

rubberfish

Reaction score
Can't wait til the warranty is up so I can add a programmer!
Why are you going to wait 'til then
to start getting better mileage? ;)
Take a look around for a product from PPE.
Probably one of the best for a Dmax. The thing
sucks on a Dodge, big time, but rocks on a GM. :thumbsup:
Tom, you'll find it to be the best $425 you've spent.
Gobs of power,,,and better mileage. :thumbsup:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Why are you going to wait 'til then
to start getting better mileage? ;)
Take a look around for a product from PPE.
Probably one of the best for a Dmax. The thing
sucks on a Dodge, big time, but rocks on a GM. :thumbsup:
Tom, you'll find it to be the best $425 you've spent.
Gobs of power,,,and better mileage. :thumbsup:

PPE is actually one of the ones I've been looking at.:D My problem is if ANYTHING happens to the engine in the next 60,000 miles, that's what GM will blame it on. Regardless of whether it created a problem. Another thing is I would like to upgrade the tranny (no longer under warranty) before adding a programmer anyway. But the tranny upgrade is going to be expensive. I'm at 40K now in less than two years so it's not that far off. I may be able to justify it before then because there are other issues I want to address. Like the speed limiterLOL and be able to adjust for tire size.

Tom