excess noise and loss of power

grumpy1

Reaction score
There should be a check ball in the fitting directly in top of the pump so you shouldn't be able to see thru it. The adapter that screws into that fitting is straight thru just fyi. If your return line is clogged somewhere between the tank and the engine it will make the engine do some strange things so you have probably found your trouble.

my fitting ain't got no balls :)
just a tiny hole that i can see through
would compressed air on the return line cause damage

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my fitting ain't got no balls :)
just a tiny hole that i can see through
would compressed air on the return line cause damage

I would not put 120psi to it but if you have a way to turn the air pressure down a bit and remove or at least loosen the fuel cap it will not hurt anything. I have had to blow out the return line a few times never with any ill effects. It is entirely possible that someone broke the check ball out of the fitting somewhere along its life, that used to be a common fix for housing pressure that was too high.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View media item 871
This is the fitting I'm referring to from my spare injection pump, the check ball is still there but it is crystal clear so I can in fact see straight through it. I just can't blow through it unless I press the ball with a pick because the ball is still there. Like I said yours may be gone.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your ip has no marking on the bolts that means it is original and needs to be replaced

grumpy1

Reaction score
View media item 871
This is the fitting I'm referring to from my spare injection pump, the check ball is still there but it is crystal clear so I can in fact see straight through it. I just can't blow through it unless I press the ball with a pick because the ball is still there. Like I said yours may be gone.

since you said the ball was clear i took a closer look and it is still in there
i removed the fuel caps and blew out the line with about 20 psi
i could hear it blowing through both tanks
i checked the housing pressure cold advance and the pin extended and re-tracked ok
i drove it a few miles and it ran like an old champ
as just about everyone here has said my pump and injectors are on borrowed time
i guess this summer it will get a fuel system overhaul from stem to stern
i'll start a new thread for advice on that
i'm thinking new pumps, injectors, tanks, sending units, and all other necessary part
thanks to all for the help

grumpy1

Reaction score
Welcome to the best and the most friendly Ford IDI forum on the internet.

just one more thing
@gandalf you are dead on
i posted my original request on the dieselstop forum the same time i posted here
it has had 188 views and not one response
thanks again
i'll be back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online