EPA & VW

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Passat TDI SEL. Are any of you joining the class action suites going around?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Probably not. Hadn't really thought about it much.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not really any other thread for this to fit into.
But it's kinda cool. Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's gotta hurt.

Another recall came out today. So far, that is three with no fixes yet. I'm starting to wonder if I want to keep mine, or not. Then, on the other hand, they are admitting when they have something wrong.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB values for the post-EPA vehicles have gone down quite a bit since he scandal broke so unless you're thinking about wholesaling out a 4 year old car and can shoulder that financially, you might as well just keep driving it. As far as I know all the recalls are emission-related and not safety-related like the GM ignition one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I gather, the value's so low that, if you don't own one and were in the market, it might be worth going after one.

I'm considering it; my '01 ALH is pushing 200K and while the engine's fine, I'm a bit nervous about the rest of the car (my daily driver). On the other hand, a big part of me wants to hold out for a TDI that uses urea injection, since I gather that urea injection means the DPF doesn't have to regen as often, which should help with fuel economy. Hmm...

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work with a car dealer and asked him to keep an eye out for one at the big auctions. There they are still commanding pretty good dollars and only a slight discount to what they were pre-scandal. It seems like in the wholesale market there isn't much concern about the issue. My 2003 ALH has around 226k and I'll keep putting money into repairing things for a while. At 50+ mpg and no payment I can keep it running for a long time and come out ahead.

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KBB values for the post-EPA vehicles have gone down quite a bit since he scandal broke so unless you're thinking about wholesaling out a 4 year old car and can shoulder that financially, you might as well just keep driving it. As far as I know all the recalls are emission-related and not safety-related like the GM ignition one.

I have had 3 safety related recalls on my 2012 Passat TDI SEL since the emissions scandal started.
First, the clock spring had to be replaced. That one is completed.
Second, Takata SDI frontal airbag. No parts available yet. Wonder if the one in this thread, that branded the singer, was one of those.
Third, Today, Seal in an underbody connector assembled incorrectly, could cause a fire. They say the MIL will come on if it has moisture in it. No parts available, yet.

I love the vehicle. Almost 39 mpg, handles great, rides good, it is just a nice car. It is just too bad about all mess going on with it.

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I gather, the value's so low that, if you don't own one and were in the market, it might be worth going after one.

I'm considering it; my '01 ALH is pushing 200K and while the engine's fine, I'm a bit nervous about the rest of the car (my daily driver). On the other hand, a big part of me wants to hold out for a TDI that uses urea injection, since I gather that urea injection means the DPF doesn't have to regen as often, which should help with fuel economy. Hmm...

My 2012 uses the urea injection. I plan to keep driving it until VW gets it together. I bought it to be my last car, maybe. Might still be, with the mileage people are getting out of the TDI motors.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2012 uses the urea injection. I plan to keep driving it until VW gets it together. I bought it to be my last car, maybe. Might still be, with the mileage people are getting out of the TDI motors.
Interesting! I had been under the impression that VW was going to start using urea injection in either 2015 or 2016 (never heard a final verdict before the scandal hit), but that none of the '09-'14 cars had it. But, since I want a wagon, I've been following the Jetta more closely than the Passat...maybe that's the difference. I wish they'd re-introduce the Passat wagon...if they sold a Passat wagon TDI 6 speed, I'd go buy one tomorrow ;Sweet

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 safety related recalls on my 2012 Passat TDI SEL since the emissions scandal started.
Oh wow. I stand corrected. I didn't know those were in addition to the emission issues.

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I had been under the impression that VW was going to start using urea injection in either 2015 or 2016 (never heard a final verdict before the scandal hit), but that none of the '09-'14 cars had it. But, since I want a wagon, I've been following the Jetta more closely than the Passat...maybe that's the difference. I wish they'd re-introduce the Passat wagon...if they sold a Passat wagon TDI 6 speed, I'd go buy one tomorrow ;Sweet

Urea injection was based on the weight of the vehicle. 2012 Passat had it, the Jetta did not. The SUV diesels had it before 2012, but I don't know what year. The Jetta got it in 2014, I think.

A lot of people sure loved the Passat Wagon. My neighbor loved his Jetta wagon, except for rear leg room, which the Passat wagon had lot of.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Passat was in a higher GVW rating class. They use urea, and actually average better MPG's. They have a warmup period that is fairly detrimental to the turbo though (very aggressive VGT use to keep EMP up for higher backpressure and faster warmup).

We bought our JSW fully knowing about the scandal. We got a good price, and its been a fantastic car over the last 5K miles. It makes a MKIV seem like a piece of crap. We will have the fix done and take the money. Then I will delete it. We are Beta testing for GDE and they said if the DPF ever fails they will do a DPF delete tune for me....

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my golf, i just feel like ive got sucker tatooed across my forehead. I heard vw came out with a fix after the initial scam, and it was discovered they still had the cheat but hid it better! Smh!