Engine removal

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh belive me that's how this hole thing started one thing after another the more u look the more u have to fix

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That's how I am at the moment. I have 2 IDI engines in the garage on stands and I wanted to merge all the best parts to make one solid engine, but then I thought, maybe get this and maybe get that, and now i'm almost a grand invested in parts and tools on this beast.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wouldn't take off the sheet metal, leave it in its own "engine stand" & 'go to town"?
Nah, too many ancillaries still in the way, too many nuts 2 spin...

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the compression before you pull it out. If you're going that far and compression is on the low side, you might as well do rings too. Especially with a turbo and that many miles, your engine may like fresh head gaskets too. Heck, just do bearings too and be done with it ($3500 later.....).

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the compression before you pull it out. If you're going that far and compression is on the low side, you might as well do rings too. Especially with a turbo and that many miles, your engine may like fresh head gaskets too. Heck, just do bearings too and be done with it ($3500 later.....).

I did this ^^^ And spent a good bit more than 3500 but by the end had a sweet motor. And then major life changes and off loaded the truck that I was ‘going to keep it forever, so it’s worth it’ and didn’t even make all the money back. Haha. Hope it’s still working hard for the buyer. Hard to know when to stop.

Just pull the motor as stated above, way easier than the new ones, but have a sturdy hoist and stand (and strong bolts for the stand) because these things are mighty heavy.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i just did this too and spent $4900 (in CA) on machine work and full rebuild, but engine is turbo spec and runs very strong. I can pull my 10k 5'r up all the grades at 55mph (and engine not broke in yet). Huge difference between a tired engine and fresh. Didn't bother me to spend $5k on an engine, cause I can't afford/justify a $60k tow vehicle.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i just did this too and spent $4900 (in CA) on machine work and full rebuild, but engine is turbo spec and runs very strong. I can pull my 10k 5'r up all the grades at 55mph (and engine not broke in yet). Huge difference between a tired engine and fresh. Didn't bother me to spend $5k on an engine, cause I can't afford/justify a $60k tow vehicle.
I'll point out that, at least in my experience, the difference between a tired engine(worn rings, uses oil) and a fresh one is... massive N/A, but once you get boost in there, it doesn't change much.
Off idle, a fresh engine makes a big difference, but once you are above 2K RPM and have boost, the amount of air and fuel you have in there makes your power. The loss past the rings makes very little difference at that point.

Not that having a rebuilt engine is bad, I'm just pointing out that going from a worn out stock-spec motor(with turbo and cranked pump) to a rebuilt stock-spec motor(with the same turbo and pump), is somewhat underwhelming. It helped at low RPMs, but not at higher ones or under boost where I thought it would help.

Of course, if you are doing other stuff too(cam, improved injectors etc), that will make a difference no matter what your motor is.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you're saying makes sense, and I'm sure the NA experience is more dramatic. But I'm just stating my towing experience on the same grades with the same load. Level road not an issue, as a NA will do just fine (I have both).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online

No members online now.