Engine oil for 7.3 idi?

briankk

Reaction score
Kinda of new to Ford stuff. just bought an old F250 w/7.3 idi engine. From reading chatter here, it seems that the consensus is 15-40 of whatever brand, but my book says straight 30w above 0 degrees, which is most of the time here in CA. Seeking guidance..

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive only seen 15-40 n my 1993 7.3 idi guidance book says 15-40 for automatic not sure about anyone else n I live in northern Arkansas

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Vacaville, California which is near Sacramento where it got below freezing only a few days a year I used either Walmart 15w-40w or Delo 15w-40w.
Here in Winthrop, Minnesota I use Delo 5w-40w synthetic to make the starting easier when it is below zero like it has been for the past several days.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15w-40 should be fine for you in California, unless maybe you are up on top of a hill somewhere where you'll see cold temps.

For reasons nobody can really explain, Shell Rotella works fine but tends to have the engine "drink" about a quart or two between change intervals. Conversely, Chevron Delo seems to remain at the same level on the dipstick longer. You can of course always go to synthetic oil, but keep in mind that IDIs tend to leak (some more than others, but they all leak some) and synthetic oil typically increases any leaks.

No matter which way you end up going, you can consider running the larger 7.3 Powerstroke FL-1995 oil filter. It holds an additional quart of oil and has more dirt holding capability than the standard IDI filter.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm in so cali and run Delo 15w40 year round. I also run the motorcraft 1995 power stroke oil filter because it fits. Its larger and the micron filtration is better. The psd engines require cleaner oil because of the oil fired injectors.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its nearly impossible to find a sae30 with the proper diesel specs. Plus a 15w40 will flow better on a cold morning and is available every where. Plan on using a qt every 700miles or so.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is affordable oil that seems to be good quality.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I dont think you can find a bad 15w40. I have used that traveler oil. Its made by warren,same as supertech,proline etc. Its good stuff.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used good old Walmart supertech 15w-40 in my idi when I had it. Seemed to be a really good oil, and currently run supertech synthetic oils in all my vehicles.
Like already mentioned, these engines burn rotella oil somewhat quickly so I would use anything other than that.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15w-40 should be fine for you in California, unless maybe you are up on top of a hill somewhere where you'll see cold temps.

For reasons nobody can really explain, Shell Rotella works fine but tends to have the engine "drink" about a quart or two between change intervals. Conversely, Chevron Delo seems to remain at the same level on the dipstick longer. You can of course always go to synthetic oil, but keep in mind that IDIs tend to leak (some more than others, but they all leak some) and synthetic oil typically increases any leaks.

No matter which way you end up going, you can consider running the larger 7.3 Powerstroke FL-1995 oil filter. It holds an additional quart of oil and has more dirt holding capability than the standard IDI filter.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
X2 on this reply! I also cannot explain why or how Rotella leaves the crankcase however I can attest to the accuracy of these statements. 15w-40 Delo & FL-1995 filter.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go with Mobil Delvac 15W40; because they run mail in rebates every few months usually. Something like $7/gal rebate, with a limit of 5 1-gallon jugs and 2 5-gallon pails.
If you can do that and buy a bunch at once and do the rebate(take a picture of the receipt and fill out the online form), it brings the cost per gallon down to the $6 range!
Also, it seems to run just fine; no 'extraordinary' usage. I just change every 3K or so, to be safe.

I'm using the Motorcraft FL-1995 filters, because they are cheap. I buy them at Autozone when I need to make up a few $ to hit a $20 purchase minimum; 5 $20 purchases and you get $20 back in rewards.

briankk

Reaction score

It does indeed, and I'm off to Tractor Supply to have a look. They also have Rotella 1 is straight 30, and Travellers in straight 30.
If I understand the argument, the 15-40 is a polymerized oil, and will shear back (break the polymer chain) causing the 15-40 to degrade back to some lesser spec, which is why they want you to change it often. On the other hand, straight 30 weight oil is not polymerized, and can not shear back, it may eventually get to be awful dirty 30 weight, but it will be 30w forever..

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that no matter what oil you use, change it often.
IDIs are really dirty motors due to the large ring gaps, so a lot of crud gets in the oil. You could run higher quality oil for longer if you had a good bypass filter, though... but not stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online