engine life

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about Duramaxs. My boss has a 2008 2500hd with about 228,000 miles on it. He keeps asking me what the average engine life is. Any suggestions on what I should tell him?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks Jasper. I'm looking for a figure that's a little more realistic for him. I don't consider it very good maintenance when he'll drive it around for 4 or 5 weeks after the "change oil soon" light comes on. I told that 400,000 isn't uncommon. He seemed happy with that. It's good to see that Isuzu designed some longevity in these.

dieseldoug

Reaction score
I'm now a Duramax newbee. Been Ford for years, but saw, drove and fell in love with my 2008 2500HD. Had it for about six months, and am completely satisfied.

Just finished a 3000 mile trip to Arizona and back running empty. Averaged 18.8 mpg through Oregon, California and Arizona. That GMC gave me the quietest, most comfortable trip of my life. I hate GM for their business practices, but they build one fine truck.

Now, to keep this real I admit I have some concerns based on the simple fact that if it's mechanical or electrical IT WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL. Soooo, today I install my Edge Insite CTS, and have found one injector with a ballance rate of 3.7 (should be always be less that 4). I'll be watching that one closely.

Over the next few months Edge will allow me to collect and store data on nearly all critical engine inputs. I'll download the data, and use it to establish a baseline for comparison and evaluation. By next spring when I hook up to my 29' fifth wheel I'll be in as good a shape as I can be. In addition, the stuff I'm learning about that truck is fascinating and makes sense including the DPF. Edge will let me monitor that too. I'll keep you posted on what I see.