Engine bogging after revving

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You need to be more specific here. Does the engine bog after returning to an idle? Does it bog while it's being held at higher RPMs (what RPM?)? Does it do it when hot? when cold? All the time? Does it smoke from the exhaust when it bogs? If so, what color is the smoke? Doe sit do this while driving or only while sitting in park/neutral?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is it something like this?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Did you just get the truck? If so, try putting in some fresh fuel. That was the problem in the video. Once I ran some fresh fuel, the problem went away and has yet to come back in 2+ years.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
If so, try putting in some fresh fuel. That was the problem in the video. Once I ran some fresh fuel, the problem went away and has yet to come back in 2+ years.
X2 about old fuel, and is probably due a fuel filter too if the fuel is questionable or it has been sitting awhile.

Rock

noahtillotson

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. The bogging happens right at the end of when I revv the engine. There is some black smoke and it bogs in a “wave” way.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Might be the metering valve. Sounds similar to how my RV was when I first got it before I put in fresh fuel with Howes antigel (it was January, well below freezing at night). Maybe I just got lucky. Someone here suspected it was a bad metering valve or bad IP when I posted the video originally, but it was just questionable old fuel in the tank.

Try removing the fuel filter with a strap wrench so you don't damage it, dump out the fuel in it, fill it with ATF (any kind), put it back on, start the engine and idle it for 10-20 seconds then shut it off and let it sit overnight.

Or if you can't wait that long and need to drive it, try getting some diesel fuel system cleaner (ie: diesel extreme) and put it in the fuel tank the top off the tank with fresh fuel and drive as normal and see if it clears up.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One other possibility is that the mechanical lift pump is going bad, but I doubt it. I don't think that you'd have the black smoke with a bad lift pump.