electrical diagram - headlights

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok last night when I went to run to town for milk, bread and videos - Ice storm from heck - satellite dish not working because trees filled with ice so no signal on half the channels...

when I headed out the headlights worked - then I touched the wipers and boom lights went out.... banged around on dash and nothing.... hit the dimmer and nothing...

Need to do some troubleshooting since I do most of my driving in the dark...

Drove home with the flashers on and navigated by feel on the 4 mile trip home... lovely...

I have a haynes manual that I picked up a few days ago and it doesn't seem to have the headlights in it - I remember from the older printing that I had that those prints in it but I guess they didn't include them in the current edition.

so if someone has them it would be nice.... she's a 1990 model....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
goatboy-
do two simple checks first.
one. check the foot dimmer switch. a bad dimmer switch will cause the headlights to go weird on you.
two. pull the switch assy and check if the connector block has committed or is in the process of comitting thermonuclear meltdown.
drop me your email addy in pm. I can PDF the schematic and email it to you later on this morning.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Ok last night when I went to run to town for milk, bread and videos - Ice storm from heck - satellite dish not working because trees filled with ice so no signal on half the channels...

when I headed out the headlights worked - then I touched the wipers and boom lights went out.... banged around on dash and nothing.... hit the dimmer and nothing...

Need to do some troubleshooting since I do most of my driving in the dark...

Drove home with the flashers on and navigated by feel on the 4 mile trip home... lovely...

I have a haynes manual that I picked up a few days ago and it doesn't seem to have the headlights in it - I remember from the older printing that I had that those prints in it but I guess they didn't include them in the current edition.

so if someone has them it would be nice.... she's a 1990 model....

Lets see you got bread,then Videos ( what kind?):rotflmao,banged around in the dark,drove home with flashers & navigated a 1990 model by feel !!! all from a guy that wears speedos! Travis What is wrong with you? :rotflmao :rotflmao ;Really

Last edited:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Hope this helps - if you need more just ask.

Attachments

• Wiper diagram.gif
    Wiper diagram.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 58
  • headlight wireing diagram.gif
    headlight wireing diagram.gif
    22 KB · Views: 73

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Calvin. I have had a couple headlight switches butn out. On the other hand you mentioned that you had some problems near your battery & solinoid area,thats where all the fusable links are. Check for power at the brown ( I believe) 18 gauge link then to input of headlight section of headlight switch then to head light output of head light switch. Pretty straight forward. Check my pm I can easily hook you up with more info.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
video store closed because of weather... I did actually find a set in my manual - it being new the pages were crisp and stuck together. I only caught it when I was noticing the page numbers jumped... so it appears it's there... I just knew that they didn't include it... I mean every truck has lights... hoping the weather works with me....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was said, I would start at the dimmer switch in the floor. It's easy to get to, and leads a hard life. If it checks out ok, pull the headlight switch on, and then probe the plug for the dimmer floor switch. One of the wires should have 12v on it. That's the wire coming from the headlight switch. If you don't have 12v on any of the dimmer switch wires with the headlight switch pulled out, you know your problem is upstream at the headlight switch, or even upstream from the switch.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always keep a few feet of insulated wire close at hand.

I have driven across country with the head-lights jumpered from battery-HOT by twisting one end of the wire around one of the BRIGHT terminals at the light itself and the other end attached to battery-HOT.

I also like to always have at least one pair of driving-lights independently wired that I can flip ON instantly should the need arise. ;Sweet

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Argve, I had that same problem a few years ago whenever I had my high beams on. I would do the checks that others have already recommended first. But, if nothing seems to help, I would do a little rewiring or simply invest in this:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=62

Heavy Duty Headlight Harness, halfway down the page. Not only did it brighten my lights TREMENDOUSLY, but I've never had the headlights go out on me ever again. There is also a guide to wire it yourself on FTE...if I can find it >.<

EDIT: Found it. http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/039/article/Whiter_Whites_Brighter_Brights.html

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had problems too, but everything cut out besides tail lights and flashers. It turned out to be the wiring on the fender solenoid, it was loose or corroded and took out all of my lights. Wiggle it and everything should come back online -

I also installed the LMC truck lights and relay and HOLY CRAP - those are some bright ass lights. I would highly suggest them, they are worth every penny. The truck looks alot better with them too-

You must be registered for see images attach

I think they really freshen up the front of the truck-

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Summit used to sell a wiring harness that was almost a plug in, this one will also take some of the load from the headlight switch.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summit used to sell a wiring harness that was almost a plug in, this one will also take some of the load from the headlight switch.

The one from LMC truck is - run a ground to a core support bolt on each side and plug one headlight harness into the new harness and that's is. Run the disconnectable power leads to the battery and you are done-

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score

The LMC kit is also pretty much a straight up plug in deal. Takes about 5min to put in, although a little longer if you want to hide the wires. Gives it a better look if you take the extra time I always think. I have some pictures if anyone is interested.

EDIT: KyleQ beat me to it LOL