electric fans...take 2

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
This article shows how I converted electric fans from a '96 windstar to work on my OBS.
The actual modifications to the factory shroud and accompanying mods to the windstar fan assembly while direct to my '96PSD should be easily adaptable to both OBS IDI and brick/slantnose IDI trucks as well.

I was able to find at the local u-pull it yard the complete electric fan assembly from a '96 windstar with the 3.8 V6...the 3.8 has the largest fans so that is what I chose.
Also the Windstar assembly is the closest match in both height and width.
I also chose to retain the Ford factory shroud for a couple reasons…1- I can retain the lower tab mounts and the upper bolts
2- the lower radiator hose/bypass hose bracket is also retained there by eliminating the need to fabricate a way to mount the windsatr shroud and fabricate some sort of lower hose support.

The entire job cost me less than $100 and in real time {because I worked on it hit and miss} can be completed in a weekend.

parts list....from the bone yard...
complete electric fan assembly from a '96 Windstar van {don't forget the plugs!

Locate a second salvageable van and at least get the large fan motor--flatter of the two

from the parts house...
2-30 amp Bosch style relays
2-heavy duty fuse holders and 30 amp fuses
dash mounted switch of your choice
12' of 12 ga wire
10'of 16 ga wire
solder/heat shrink and split loom
misc crimp connectors for relays and battery connection

misc parts..
fiberglass matt and resin/hardener, 4.5" grinder discs, 1' of punch bar available at Lowes,HD etc...

tools...
jig saw, grinder/sander, basic hand tools.

This pic shows what IMVHO is the best and cleanest way to cut the shroud..thin 5.5" metal cut off wheels on a grinder...beats a sawzall hands down!
You must be registered for see images attach

Begin by draining about a couple gallons {max} of coolant as it is nessecary to remove the top radiator hose to remove shroud/fan assy.
Also remember to un-bolt the lower radiator hose support.

REMEMBER---RIGHT hand threads on fan clutch!

Toss fan/clutch and let's get down to business!

The reason I chose to modify the Windstar fan shroud to accept another flatter motor and graft to my shroud as opposed to using the smaller but more prominent motor is clearly evident in this pic...

Doing so also eliminates the need to fab up some sort of brackets to mount the Windstar shroud to the side of the radiator tabs.

Now, with your truck shroud face up, place the Windstar shroud on top and you will see the areas to be removed in order for the two to match up as cleanly as possible.....
Also now is a good time to clip flush the Windstar shroud mount tabs!

This pic shows the end result and the following pic shows the test fit...

Here is the way I kept everything as true as possible...

Here it just needs a little clean up....

Everything in plane!

First layer of fiberglass that will have 2 more layers---mebee a bit over done but I like doing things once! Second pic shows ready for fans....

Here is some punch bar I added for rigidity...a couple inches in each corner along with 3 layers of fiberglass makes a strong connection!

That is it for the actual shroud modification....sand to your level of acceptance and give a good coat or two of black spray paint!

Adapting the motors and modifying the small fan to fit the larger motor is next!

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Part 2 motor install

Now that the shroud is done , it's time to adapt the 2nd large motor into the smaller housing and adapt the samll fan,it's really quite simple.

In the smaller fan housing you will see the tabs to locate the small motor...these need to be removed in order for the large motor to fit....just use a jigsaw to rough cut and a flap wheel to finesse for a snug fit of the larger motor as shown in the following pics....

Now with the motor fit and indexed, you will need to remove some of the web near 12 o'clock to recess the plug end and allow to set flush....second pic is the finish result...flat and indexed against pin.

You will now notice the holes in the metal motor tab and the shroud need to be re-drilled....drill the metal! and re-use the existing ,already threaded holes in the shroud. The protective plates will also need to be re-drilled.

Now comes the only real test of your fabrication skill LOL!
Seriously, getting carried away modifing the fan can result in destroying the fan...and an un-nesc trip back to the boneyard!

The existing tabs on the inside of the small fan will not allow it to sit correctly and need to be ground flush to the existing center height to properly set the fan in the shroud and allow the retainer and clip to have the proper set and tension.

I used a 4.5" coarse scotchbrite pad to do the dirty work...and the size fit's perfectly!

Now both fans are secured with the index plates and clips, ready to be installed!
Use the existing large fan/motor to gauge the correct tension of the modified small fan to large motor plate and clip.
Both fans should spin freely without scrubbing the shroud and will do so if the smaller fan/larger motor install is accurate so please take your time!

The great thing about how this mod works is re-assembly is easy! The stock factory shroud tabs still line up for both bottom tabs and top bolts.
Re-connect the lower radiator/by pass hose clip and connect the top hose.

Installed pics and wiring next!

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Here's the installed pics...note plenty of clearance and maximum depth of fans for the best possible airflow!

Wiring is up next...I chose the drivers side battery to connect the hot leads to the weather tite 30 amp fuses and used punch bar to attach the fuses and relays. There is also a ground stud mounted on the radiator support directly in front of the driver side battery so there is no need to connect directly to the neg battery terminal....just follow the 4 gauge wire to the stud...about 12".

I soldered and heat shrunk 12 gauge wire and used split loom and tape for a neat factory look!

Here is the wiring for the Bosch style 30 amp relays...

All that is left now is to install the dash switch of your choice!
I chose a rectangular, black with blue light rocker switch that I will install between the headlight switch and fuel selector switch......just haven't done it yet......

Real world testing and operation is just short of amazing!
I have been able to sit in traffic snarls that take 2 to 3 light cycles to get thru and when I see the mechanical temp gauge going past 215 deg in 87 degree heat....flip the switch and the temp will drop to 192 degrees in about 2-3 minutes!.....and that is with the ac on max!
I can now back up trailers without worry of over heating too!

here's a real kick....Many have believed, including myself that fans don't really do much at highway speeds....well....running out the interstate at 80 mph and 2900 turns with the air on in upper 80 degree weather usually puts me about 210 ....still comfortable coolant temps....switch on the fans and I can see an 7 to 8 degree drop!

Will this type of system work for those hauling max GVR up 7 percent grades....prolly not but for those of us with normal daily loads/driving it works great!
Loosing the stock fan/clutch has given me a touch better fuel mileage....1.5 to a best of just over 2 mpg on long,constant interstate runs with the cruise on.

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
OK guys...here is the rough final draft :D ...

comments, complaints etc....and can someone PLEASE tell me how to format all this into an article :rotflmao

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Looks Great Geo! I didn't get a chance to read it all yet but I will. What CFM do you think you are pulling? I saw a setup yesterday at the performance parts store the pulls 4200 CFm's

PM Mel for putting it in an article.

Later,..

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
He's had the fan and fan clutch off of the PSD for a while, driving like this fer a good year or so IIRC.

Actually 2 years now...got real antsy sitting in summer traffic :eek: ....not to mention my attempt at being Mr.Nice guy at Carolina beach....already at 220deg from idling at the toll , then tooling thru that sugar sand and trying to yank out a guy in a 2WD F-150....hit 240 :eek: :idiot:

Darrin, I put it the test forum ...to test it LOL....my first article and don't really know :***: I'm doing so I thought it would be best ironed out here!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
here's a real kick....Many have believed, including myself that fans don't really do much at highway speeds....well....running out the interstate at 80 mph and 2900 turns with the air on in upper 80 degree weather usually puts me about 210 ....still comfortable coolant temps....switch on the fans and I can see an 7 to 8 degree drop!

I'm making an aluminum shroud for mine and it will have a number of vents that will open at freeway speeds to let max air through the radiator. I've read that the fan blades, when not turning, actually block the airflow and turning them on just lets the air flow better. My vents will just be hinged plates or flaps that will open with enough airflow. We'll see how it works out.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Will the flaps open above say 50 mph.....and will you still use some sort of fan?

Yes on the electric fans (two of them, always have a backup!). I'll have to check, but they're 2400 or 2800 cfm each. Hopefully that's enough.

I'll have to figure out how much force the flaps will have on them to open at about 50 or so. Shouldn't be too bad, and that's one of the only problems I have for this whole conversion. I'll set up the fans with the 454 and see if everything works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online