Early E4OD Output Shaft

Justin B

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I picked up a 2WD E4OD the other day for my project F-150 IDI swap. The truck is a 90 (mechanical speedo) and the trans is from an OBS, door sticker of the donor truck said 94, was behind a Powerstroke. Compatibility is obviously a problem with the output shaft. I've been searching the forums and reading solutions and I've come down to a few ideas, but need to know if I've misunderstood them and which is going to be my best option:

1. Replace the output shaft with the correct one. The 2wd shaft with speedo gear seems elusive in this day and age, does anyone know where I would even find one (junk yard is obvious, but I don't want to buy an entire transmission for one hard part if I can avoid it)? Since the transmission would need to be torn down in the process, this one quickly adds up to $$$ just to make it work.

2. This one may be wrong, but i saw it suggested, pull the tail housing and install a gear on the current shaft. Is this even possible? There was mention of a keyway in the shaft to accommodate it, but this is all tough to decipher without pictures. When I remove the block-off plug from the tail housing I see splines on the shaft which I "assume" mesh with the speedo gear, but this is all new to me.

3. Swap the speedo with an OBS PSOM unit, modify the wiring from the RABS in the diff and plug it all up. Anyone here currently done this? Sounds easy enough, I would just need to figure out what goes where and how it's wired. Would I need a controller for this or would the RABS work to control the transmission as well?

If anyone else has some "aftermarket" ideas on this, I'm all ears!

Also, so the thread doesn't run away off topic, I already have the correct convertor, solenoid pack and shift linkage for my year truck ready to swap in, but if there are other swap considerations, please let me know.

Thank you guys for reading.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 87 I had put a obs speedo into it, had to cut up the speedo a bit and the cluster backing for clearance and use the obs clear lens for the button holes.

Me personally I would do the speedo swap as that would be easier and cheaper then ripping a trans apart.

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What was the month of the build date? Late 94? Like October/November/December?

Reason I ask, if it was an earlier build date, and is actually a 94 model year truck, then that transmission would be behind an IDI. Ford didn't put an automatic behind the PSD until the 95 model year. I know this doesn't help your speedometer problem... just want to let you know.

If you see a 94 model year 7.3 Diesel with an automatic, is will be a IDI, unless someone swapped it to an E4OD in the last 25 years. Ford was still working on the E4OD Shift Schedule when they released the 7.3PSD, so ALL 94 7.3PSD's were a stick.....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I picked up a 2WD E4OD the other day for my project F-150 IDI swap. The truck is a 90 (mechanical speedo) and the trans is from an OBS, door sticker of the donor truck said 94, was behind a Powerstroke. Compatibility is obviously a problem with the output shaft. I've been searching the forums and reading solutions and I've come down to a few ideas, but need to know if I've misunderstood them and which is going to be my best option:

1. Replace the output shaft with the correct one. The 2wd shaft with speedo gear seems elusive in this day and age, does anyone know where I would even find one (junk yard is obvious, but I don't want to buy an entire transmission for one hard part if I can avoid it)? Since the transmission would need to be torn down in the process, this one quickly adds up to $$$ just to make it work.

2. This one may be wrong, but i saw it suggested, pull the tail housing and install a gear on the current shaft. Is this even possible? There was mention of a keyway in the shaft to accommodate it, but this is all tough to decipher without pictures. When I remove the block-off plug from the tail housing I see splines on the shaft which I "assume" mesh with the speedo gear, but this is all new to me.

3. Swap the speedo with an OBS PSOM unit, modify the wiring from the RABS in the diff and plug it all up. Anyone here currently done this? Sounds easy enough, I would just need to figure out what goes where and how it's wired. Would I need a controller for this or would the RABS work to control the transmission as well?

If anyone else has some "aftermarket" ideas on this, I'm all ears!

Also, so the thread doesn't run away off topic, I already have the correct convertor, solenoid pack and shift linkage for my year truck ready to swap in, but if there are other swap considerations, please let me know.

Thank you guys for reading.

Option 2 will work. The output shaft will have a key way for the speedo drive.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several companies that deal in used transmission hard parts. When I rebuild my e4od I damaged part of the pump and was able to get just that part. I also bought a good used sunshell from them that was better than the one I took out. Cheap prices too, the one I used was:

Teal Automotive
800-722-0215
www.Tealautomotiveinc.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online