E4OD wiring

Logan Junghanns

Reaction score
i have a ‘96 F350, 4x4, Powerstroke with an E4OD transmission. My father-in-law owned the truck since it was new until I bought it about 2-3 years ago. He had parked it in 2011 because his mechanic told him it needed a new transmission. I finally convinced him to let me buy the truck and proceeded to drive it home 500 miles with no problem and continued to drive it for a month or so until it rained and I hit a mud/water hole and the transmission started shifting funny (shifting to first at highway speeds, starting out in second and all sorts of weird crap.) occasionally if I keep revving the throttle with it what seems to be in neutral it will cause the OD light to flash. I replaced the MLPS, the valve body connector on the passenger side and had the valve body replaced. Each time it would seem better until I hit a big bump or a puddle and it would start acting up again. What I finally figured out is that each time I would “fix” something I was moving the wiring harnesses around. Several months ago when it started doing it, I crawled under the truck and wiggled the main transmission harness pretty good and it hasn’t done it since... until today! I had to change out the transfer case and consequently moved the wires. Now it’s doing it again! At this point I am 100% confident that it is a wiring issue. I have removed the loom from the wires and looked for broken or bare wires and did not see anything obvious. Has anybody else dealt with this (successfully)and if so where do I need to concentrate and which wire(s) or connectors could cause this problem? I did notice that the wire on the transfer case position switch was pretty rough but it seems to only control the 4x4 high and low lights on the dash.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the connectors. There is a loose wire in one or two of them. Look for corrosion of the connector pins and clean any you find. Good luck!

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can buy a new connector with wires that gets spliced in, i think it even comes with heat shrink on the individual connectors. had lockup solenoid codes erratically on my 97 E4OD . I saw one on amazon even back in July. I'll see if I can find it and I'll post a link here. I noticed mine acting up in heavy rain.

item # 1571097931 sorry couldn't get a link to work.

Last edited: