E4OD from Monster Transmission for my 1993

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm
So that puts billett clutch pack and sun housing ect. For the big hp track cars At closer to $5k ?ish?

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built the E4OD in my E350. I did it by-the-book. Three days for the trans and two days for the updated valve body. If I had immediately done another, probably one day total.

Trans and valve body about $400.
Triple disk billet converter $200-400.
Metal drain back valve a few bucks.

I can only think of two non standard tools. One is something to compress a belleville spring. I basically used a drill press. The other is a thin plastic disk to roll in lip seals. I got mine in one of the kits.

I don't recall anything to adjust.

I live in So-Cal. The van is my daily driver. I am now in Wisconsin, came from NSRA Nationals, KY, am on way to Woodward Dream Cruise, and Hot Rod Power Tour, and a Huston, TX event. If you are a decent mechanic you can build your own.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do IDI's make enough horsepower/torque to need a multi-clutch TC?
Don't even need torque, just rotational momentum will do it.

I am in So-Cal. We have this thing called Baker grade. We are climbing, foot on the floor. Speed is dropping. I am chatting with my wife. I switch to drop out of OD, fail to lift foot from the floor, convertor unlocks, trans shifts down to third, convertor locks, large cloud of smoke, no forward thrust, home on a flat bed.

Melted snout off filter, melted drain back valve, welded one converter-to-flexplate nut.

I had ordered and paid for a triple disk. Had convertor opened, single disk with no friction material remaining.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built the E4OD in my E350. I did it by-the-book. Three days for the trans and two days for the updated valve body. If I had immediately done another, probably one day total.

If you are a decent mechanic you can build your own.
This is good to hear!

I am going to use this series of videos and a factory repair manual to rebuild my E4OD. (I'll probably buy a billet TC as well.)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find the two ATSG books shared on this site. They are the go to manuals for rebuilding and updating the e4od.
If you pay less than $500 for a triple disk converter, it’ll likely be like the one described above. Billet front cover, triple disk, torrington style thrust bearings and furnace brazed stator are the general features that make the converter efficient and long lasting. Most of the converters containing these features start at $8-900 and go up from there. And you have to keep them cool.
The 6.0 trans cooler is the only one I’ll ever install if I do another one. Can’t beat the price and availability and it’s a bolt in arrangement that can go between the radiator and a/c condenser. It’s also a good idea to get the larger cooling ports, bypass tube and 3/8 cooler lines from the 4R100/5R110. That matches the cooler diameter and is also a bolt in upgrade.