E4OD blues

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
92 with an auto has been giving me codes since the day I bought it. Light isn’t on all the time. So far the tach sensor and VSS have both been replaced. Yet I keep getting 29, I even spliced in a new pigtail since the old wiring was looking grim. I may have to check that connection again. Speedo kinda floats in the 50-70 mph range.

I haven’t touched the Mlps yet.

Code 59 is a new one for me.

E4OD codes I’m getting currently:
59 2-3 shift?
29 VSS
67 MLPS?

Where do I start boys? Is this trans on its way out?

Anyone have a zf5 4x4 swap near Maryland?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
John Clugston on Facebook marketplace has a full zf5 swap in Dover Pa.
He parts out a lot of these trucks..
He's a good guy, I've done business with him a few times..

Rock

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
John Clugston on Facebook marketplace has a full zf5 swap in Dover Pa.
He parts out a lot of these trucks..
He's a good guy, I've done business with him a few times..

Rock
I already follow him on there, lots of goodies for sure! I’d like to repair this auto if possible. The ZF swaps are pricey right now

steve phillips

Reaction score
P M me your email address, I have lots of e40d service information. I can send it to you if you want. Trackspeedster is an expert on these. Until he sees this may I humbly suggest, 1, check solenoid connector on passenger side of trans to see if wires are melted at connector. 2, replace the PCM fuse in fuse block, this relay supplies all power to trans. 3, plug plug off PCM module check for corrosion. Is trans in limp mode, hard shifts? I hope some of this helps, steve

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I am no expert on the E40D. However many suggest a common issue is folks have a brake light out (Even the 3rd brake light ((If you have one))also will effect the system too.) or members that have replaced the brake lights with LED bulbs.

Here are some articles to look at for help till others who know more chime in.. Sounds like Steve has the hook up for you with Trackspeedster.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I bought my van. It kept dropping out of gear at the oddest times for no apparent reason. And kept throwing VSS codes.

Mine turned out to be the PSOM, which is part of the speedometer assembly.

Got an electronic tech around who has a battery powered oscilloscope? If so, there is a signal wire and it's return which send the scaled VSS signal from the PSOM to the Transmission Control Computer. Check for a steady signal there. Its kinda like a capacitively coupled pulse train which varies frequency with speed. It's in the audio range.

The above was a great help to me

When I looked at my signal from the PSOM to the Transmission Control Computer, it would look fine for a while, then suddenly die. Confusing the Transmission controller which is now being told the van is stopped. I had a transmission expert look over my E4OD, and mechanically, he could find nothing wrong with it.

They made a bunch of runs of bad capacitors in the 90's, and I can't help but think I might have got some.

I am working on a way to use an Android phone as a troubleshooting instrument to monitor or mimic magnetic speed sensors by using the headphone jack and 600 ohm audio line transformers for isolation so as not to fry the phone...

Using open source technologies.

This is kinda esoteric stuff, but if the appropriate adapters and test leads can be fabricated, this will minimize by far the cost of test equipment needed to troubleshoot our old trucks.

Last edited:

DavidS

Reaction score
I had similar issues, especially the recurring VSS code, turned out to be the PSOM as well, I was able to find a shop that rebuilds instrument clusters and they got it right for not much money. I believe they found the leaking capacitor issue on mine when they got into it.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" Speedo kinda floats in the 50-70 mph range. "

The speedometer itself is throwing "clue bats" all over the place.

If the speedo can't tell you how fast you are going, it likely can't tell the Transmission controller either.

The Transmission controller will do it's best to disengage the mechanicals safely and throw a code as to why.

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
P M me your email address, I have lots of e40d service information. I can send it to you if you want. Trackspeedster is an expert on these. Until he sees this may I humbly suggest, 1, check solenoid connector on passenger side of trans to see if wires are melted at connector. 2, replace the PCM fuse in fuse block, this relay supplies all power to trans. 3, plug plug off PCM module check for corrosion. Is trans in limp mode, hard shifts? I hope some of this helps, steve
Thanks dude. I’ll shoot you a Pm and I’ll start checking all that stuff out.

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
I am no expert on the E40D. However many suggest a common issue is folks have a brake light out (Even the 3rd brake light ((If you have one))also will effect the system too.) or members that have replaced the brake lights with LED bulbs.

Here are some articles to look at for help till others who know more chime in.. Sounds like Steve has the hook up for you with Trackspeedster.

Yeah I don’t have any led bulbs and I just replaced my cargo light last year.

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
" Speedo kinda floats in the 50-70 mph range. "

The speedometer itself is throwing "clue bats" all over the place.

If the speedo can't tell you how fast you are going, it likely can't tell the Transmission controller either.

The Transmission controller will do it's best to disengage the mechanicals safely and throw a code as to why.
That’s a good point. PSOM it is then

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
VSS is good, so I would be going for the PSOM.
Thank you for chiming in. I have some reading up to do on this PSOM. Another problem that I have that I can replicate with this OD light is that when I reverse straight back the truck is fine and there no light. Soon as I cut the wheel and turn in reverse that light comes on. Goes off soon and I put the truck in drive and move forward.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a loose wire somewhere.
Something I had happen on my in laws '93 idi auto, the pressure switch for the cruise cancel on the left frame rail, the weather packing failed and got wet. That short heated up the black connector upstream on the fender liner, and melted, causing the pressure solenoid to get a constant 12v and took out the pcm.

Not saying that's your exact issue, but wouldn't hurt to wiggle a few wires.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to get the speedo working consistently first.

Keep in mind-

One lesson learned over and over on this site is frequently Oilburners get burned by parts out of the box that do not work. Sometimes brands that do not work right in our trucks. So keep in mind, the VSS may not actually be working right. Not likely but probable.

As I recall their is a OD switch on the gear selector. Maybe as Nero said it is a wiring issue but perhaps in the steering column. Turning the column causes the wiring to move or something in the column to push/squeeze/twist the wiring.

To the above point, maybe the shift column amplifies the issue when in reverse. Happens right away vs perhaps takes the right movement of the steering wheel in drive.

I would also check the wiring to the VSS to see if some how when the rear axle flexes, if the axle/VSS moves to a place where the wiring shorts out. So when in reverse and turning the leaf springs load/flex in way to move the wiring to where it has a short. Otherwise when driving and the axle moves the wiring in a similar way.