E40D Transmission gurus, slipping into neutral flashing od, no codes

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey oil burners,
Having a sudden problem with my transmission. 94 7.3 with E40d, 100kish miles. Truck has been driving fine when suddenly it started slipping into neutral and the od light is flashing. Only way to get it back into gear is to shift lever to neutral and shut truck off and back on. It’ll run normal for a minute and then slip again. I can also shift the lever into 2nd and 1st and have those gears. I have a newer fipl, mlps and vss. I checked the fipl voltage and I’ve got 1.2 at idle and 4.2 at wot, I can’t adjust anymore as the bracket is maxed out. I ohm’d the mlps and vss and they’re within spec. The transmission fluid is full and is pink and not burnt. I pulled all the connectors from those and cleaned them with electronics cleaner and greased them. The trans has 100kish miles on it, unk as I’ve only had the truck a couple years and don’t drive it much. It’s a jasper with tranny cooler installed by the PO. I haven’t had any issues with it up to this point.
I pulled codes at koeo and koer with my code reader and I have no codes. What am I missing? Thanks for any assistance

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Your code reader must not be picking up the codes. With the OD OFF light flashing there are codes.

Sounds like the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) is failing. The sensor on the left side of the case.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s picking up codes cuz it replies with an 11. I guess the trs could be failing but when I ohm’d it it measured within specs. Man I like this truck but the way the trans is set up drives me nuts.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly I already checked, it was aligned. I pulled it, cleaned it and reinstalled and realigned it just to be sure.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after cleaning all the connectors I took it out and beat it like a rug and got the od light to flash, came back and ran codes and finally got a code! Shift solenoid circuit one which figures, I lose gear at speed and if I let her coast I get forward gears back right about 20mph. Ordered a solenoid, hopefully this fixes it

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have normal operation in manual 1 and 2, then that's a good sign. I had a bad "rebuilt" solenoid body that caused a 1-3 shift condition. I was able to fix it when I found a solder blob that was causing an internal short. Wasn't impressed.

Hopefully the new solenoid pack fixes yours.