E40d Fluid?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get a straight answer.. I purchased a bunch of Merc/Dex III for a c6 that I had, but I sold the truck before flushing the trans. My E40D is due and I was hoping to save a few bucks by using the Merc/Dex. What are you guys running? If I can't use it I will sell it super cheap to any local OB member..

Thanks.

gandalf

Reaction score
So far as I know the book calls for Mercon, and Mercon only. I believe I've been told that about anything else will pretty well guarantee a forced rebuild. That's something I'm sure you want to avoid.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a brand new trans., so I would like to avoid rebuilding it. :D

If anyone can use the Merc/Dex fluid.. I will sell it cheap. I also have a C6 4wd trans. filter NIB, if anyone wants it they can have it for the cost of shipping.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the e4OD calls for Mercon. What you have for the C6 is fine, some even call it classic atf now that the mercon name expired. but any dex 3/mercon fluid is fine for it.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the E4OD uses merc/dex III, it supersedes all mercon/dextron II and I, use it and dont worry about it.
i use B&M trickshift in my 96 F150, with the E4OD, havent had any problems with it, and i change it every 50,000 miles. its almost due again though, it has 195,*** miles on it right now.
funny thing about B&M trickshift is that it says on the bottle that is supersedes ford type F requirements.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the E4OD uses merc/dex III, it supersedes all mercon/dextron II and I, use it and dont worry about it.
i use B&M trickshift in my 96 F150, with the E4OD, havent had any problems with it, and i change it every 50,000 miles. its almost due again though, it has 195,*** miles on it right now.
funny thing about B&M trickshift is that it says on the bottle that is supersedes ford type F requirements.

To narrow fluid types down, back when there were basically just the two, type F for fords and Dexron for everything else, they were actually interchangable to a point. For us old geezers, we will remember that the old ford vehicles did not have coolers on the trannys while the GM vehicles did. there lies the difference in fluid requirement. The the ford type F was speced to hold up to higher temps and reduce foaming to hold up without a cooler but provided harsher ( some would say crisper ) shifts , while the GM fluid was speced to run cooler and not have that resistance, but provide a better cushioning during shifts for a smoother ride

Even before B&M came out with their fluid, it was well known by racers to run type f in GM boxes to get a crisper shift and to get them to hold up against higher heat without breaking down. Even now the fluids aimed at racing are still ones that will cross as a type f replacement THe B&M, Amsoil Supershift, a number of others. THis is also why racing fluids are generally not advised for street use unless towing etc because they can give harsh shifts.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
just don't use mercon V in it.

This statement is not accurate. At least not anymore.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_06144.pdf

Ford says that after 2007 Mercon V can be used in Mercon applications.

"Beginning immediately all automatic transmission transaxle applications requiring MERCON can now be serviced using MERCON V. After July 1, 2007, MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid will no longer be manufactured, therefore, availability of this fluid will only continue for however long it takes to deplete what remains in inventory."

I just replaced all my transmission fluid with Mercon V so I hope this is right anyways...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Well the rights to the mercon name expired.

So i use the Amalie brand atf in my shop. They call it Classic ATF.

I still won't use mercon V in a E4OD. I tried it in my old 91 (the one you remember) and it shifted funny afterward doing a complete drain and fill with the converter. It was a much softer shift but i liked a firm positive shift.

Ford released a newer TSB about Mercon V replacing the older Mercon, but it stated that there is a dual usage mercon/mercon V fluid. I need to dig that tsb up but as long as i can find the classic atf i'll continue to use it and i change my fluid every 15K in my autos that take good old mercon.

old mercon has been called multi vehicle atf, classic atf, i still see it in advance auto as Dex III/Mercon.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Dex/Merc or Universal ATF. Look on the back and see if its compatable with Mercon. If it is use it. Just like in the ZF5 it calls for MerconIII, All they sell now is Dex/Merc which is equivilent.

Just like the book calls for CG rated oil, CJ-4 has replaced it

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Dex/Merc or Universal ATF. Look on the back and see if its compatable with Mercon. If it is use it. Just like in the ZF5 it calls for MerconIII, All they sell now is Dex/Merc which is equivilent.

Just like the book calls for CG rated oil, CJ-4 has replaced it

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well I'm still confused I guess. Are you guys still saying to not use Mercon V? Why Ford has issued a TSB that says Mercon V has replaced Mercon for all service?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust Ford on this one. They spent too many years telling us to never put Mercon V in a Mercon/III trans. I think they figure by now, it's time to "do-in" the rest of the old trans so they can sell more vehicles. There are no markings on a Mercon V bottle that tell you it's the newer kind that's reformulated that I am aware of. I want to know the exact compound that existed in Mercon V that was bad for our trans that is no longer present now, or tell me what they added to it that makes it good for us now. A marketing department edict of "just tell them it's OK to use it now" doesn't fly for me. I'm using this stuff... BRAD PENN III H® ATF from
http://www.amref.com/Products/Branded-Lubricants/Trans-Fluids.aspx