E350 DANA 70 parking brake

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 E350 DANA 70 dually.
I have two possibly related questions.

Check this pic. That used to be a parking brake assembly.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ct7SVSIF7TeWWIEM2

The parking brake never did hold. I did what I could, by-the-book, three times, and never got it to hold. And now the backing plate and parking brake surface of the disk are unusable.

Is there a different type of parking brake I could install/adapt?

I think the rear pads are small for a dully. I have some reason to believe a 450 has much larger pads. True?

So, suggestions for the rear end?

TY
Ray

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Holy moly.
Yeah, the SD drum parking brake inside the disc wasn't very reliable.
2wd? 4wd?
Could do a driveline brake. Not very cheap though. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="79jasper, post: 954679, member: 19999"
2wd? 4wd?
Could do a driveline brake. Not very cheap though. Lol
[/QUOTE]

2wd

Driveline brake using what parts?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The previous model trucks had a brake like this.
Bolts to the back of a 4X4 model transmission.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Is there a different type of parking brake I could install/adapt?

I think the rear pads are small for a dully. I have some reason to believe a 450 has much larger pads. True?

The earlier E450 uses the driveline brake, the later ones use the same/similar 'drum-in-hat' style you have. Not sure what the E550 uses.

Tow truck guys add a manual line-lock for the calipers. One brand I've seen is Mico.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The earlier E450 uses the driveline brake, the later ones use the same/similar 'drum-in-hat' style you have. Not sure what the E550 uses.

Tow truck guys add a manual line-lock for the calipers. One brand I've seen is Mico.

I considered a line lock, but all of them I know of require power all the time they are engaged.

I can supposedly replace the tail shaft housing on the current 4R100 with a brake assembly, so that is my current direction.

I am building a 55 Ford wagon. I am using Cady brake calipers, where the parking brake cable closes the pads. A large version of that design would be my first choice.

But if the above does not exist, what options are there for larger rear brakes?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I considered a line lock, but all of them I know of require power all the time they are engaged.

I can supposedly replace the tail shaft housing on the current 4R100 with a brake assembly, so that is my current direction.

I am building a 55 Ford wagon. I am using Cady brake calipers, where the parking brake cable closes the pads. A large version of that design would be my first choice.

But if the above does not exist, what options are there for larger rear brakes?

The Mico 'Lever-Lock' in my '78 Dodge is not electric. Brake line in, brake line out, and little handle you flip over. My first knowledge of these devices came from a guy running a 3500HD towtruck. He installed one of these because the driveline brake didn't even hold well.

I've seen a few iterations of a disc brake fitted to the pinion yoke.

It may be the later F450/F550/E550 use a larger drum-in-hat parking brake, since they have the extra room behind a 19.5" wheel.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be the later F450/F550/E550 use a larger drum-in-hat parking brake, since they have the extra room behind a 19.5" wheel.

I don't want a larger drum-in-hat parking brake, I want a larger rear primary brake.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I don't want a larger drum-in-hat parking brake, I want a larger rear primary brake.

ahh... ok.

I have a E350 D70u diff like yours, and also E450 70HD but sold it.

What I can recall is the 70HD had different calipers, different backing plate flange, and no parking brake. I believe the rotor was thicker. The setup may grab stronger... but still all fits inside a 16" wheel. The diff itself is 4" wider overall.

To go even bigger brakes, there might be kits for superduty axles... or go right to F450/550 stuff.