E250 Camper Floor Plan

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think I have too much time to think about stuff. I had been looking at vans that have been converted to campers. I went ahead and drew out a possible floor plan for my E250. It is to scale...1" equals 1ft. The box of my van behind the front seats is 6ft by 10ft. If I didn't want a shower it would give me a lot more room, but an extended road trip using truck stop/campsite showers seems unpleasant. I would add a pop-top for head room and an extra bed if needed. House batteries would be charges via solar panels, alternator or 120v plug in. So what do you think?
You must be registered for see images

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Looks interesting. I have always thought a couch with a back that folds up into bunks is a good alternative to a large bed. Saves a lot of space when you are alone an provides a good place to relax when not used as bed. It will be similiar in size to submarine bunks which I am very familiar with. If you can find an old camper to get your appliances out of you will do okay. Otherwise new RV appliances will cost you a bundle. You can easily spend $5000 on new appliances you have shown. Remember the cabinets will cost a lot with building materials as high as they are now. I know because I have been buying these items to convert dressing room horse trailers to living quarters. RV parts ain't cheap. A small refrigerator can cost $600+ with shipping. I just spent $871 on a 3-way 4cubic foot.

BTW, you will need propane bottles somewhere in that drawing.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks interesting. I have always thought a couch with a back that folds up into bunks is a good alternative to a large bed. Saves a lot of space when you are alone an provides a good place to relax when not used as bed.

BTW, you will need propane bottles somewhere in that drawing.

Interesting idea about the bunks, I will have to look into it. The way the bed is drawn out now it would be a sofa along the drivers side wall. Either a jack-knife style that would pull out or have a sofa type that doesn't pull out.....instead have a table that sits in front of it that has adjustable legs so you could drop it down and secure a cushion on top to complete the bed.

As far as the propane.....the only thing I might need it for is a water heater. Haven't really looked to see if there are non-propane options. For a furnace, if I used one, would be a diesel one that pulled from the vehicle fuel tank. I know that most trailers/rv's have propane fridges, but looking at SportMobile they use straight 12v models in most of their builds. I would have to do the math to make sure the house batteries could keep up. I left a stove top off the plan to try and stay away from the propane storage.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
12V has a fairly large amp draw. Full time use at 12V can be very ******* your batteries. My 3-way frig has a 30A fuse protecting the 12V circuit. I use 12V only while I am towing my trailer and that is only because I have the frig intake vent mounted in the front of the trailer and I am worried about the wind constantly blowing out the propane flame. When I get to my campsite I switch to propane or 120V if I have shore power.

You may also consider TV trays as an alternative to a table. Easy to stow and out of the way when not in use.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12V has a fairly large amp draw. Full time use at 12V can be very ******* your batteries. My 3-way frig has a 30A fuse protecting the 12V circuit. I use 12V only while I am towing my trailer and that is only because I have the frig intake vent mounted in the front of the trailer and I am worried about the wind constantly blowing out the propane flame. When I get to my campsite I switch to propane or 120V if I have shore power.

You may also consider TV trays as an alternative to a table. Easy to stow and out of the way when not in use.

I know compressors usually pull a lot of amps, but these say they only pull 2.5-2.8 amps. I would still look into a 3-way fridge and do all the math before making the final decision.

The TV trays would be used if the bed was the jack-knife kind. A table would only be installed if it was going to serve double duty as part of the bed....like the tables in a trailer that become a bed.

Jake2670

Reaction score
I have a camper van that was built by Mary Miller in TX, 1978. I love my floor plan and have seen one other MM, a 77 model same plan, mine has shower/toilet behind drivers seat, then sink n counter behind that, fridge then closet in back. the table bed setup is hard to describe, but it has 2 dif dinette options or all seats lay down to make almost a full size bed. she is at friends house right now getting a 3.9L oil burner installed but will shoot some pics of inside if U like. the shower pan b only thing i c being hard, but its doable. I put a composting toilet n last summer so no more black water :) I have 15 gal water n 3 house batteries under back bench seat next to closet

Jake2670

Reaction score
ok, did a quick drawing hope this helps
You must be registered for see images attach

Jake2670

Reaction score
the two round holes by benches are for the table, u can put it by side door n spin pass seat around or put n back, across from fridge n seat 4. the convertible bench can face either way or lay down for bed, it has 2 seatbelts too. neat seat, this van can sleep 4 also as it has a full size bunk that slides from rear. area above drivers area is just storage. by now u fig that this thing is tall, I'm 5;9" with head room to spare, don't even think about drive thru, but wouldn't trade her for anything

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, did a quick drawing hope this helps

I would be interested to see the layout. It wouldn't let me pull up the attachment.

The drivers side wall has a lot of space to put stuff. My issue is that I have read AC/Heat that runs along that wall. I know that I could remove it, but it is pretty nice and really helps cool everything down in the summer. I am kinda brain storming ideas to reroute the vents to free up wall space.

Jake2670

Reaction score
not sure why they don't pull up, i tested em, corse i sent em , guess u could PM me n try that or PM ur enail

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jayro88: Here are someplaces for parts.

Ickes RV Surplus---Montpelier IN 765-728-5668 They have lots of stuff youc an use.

RV Surplus & Salvage ---Elkhart IN 219-264-5575 --rvsurplussalvage.com http://www.rvsurplus.net/

Bontragers RV Surplus Parts ---White Pigeon MI 18719 E US 12 269-483-7017

Midwest Salvage Shipshewanna IN 219-825-9822

The area code has changed on some of the places, don't know what they are. Elkhart has a ton of surplus places.

I have a lot of RV stuff left over from my RV service, might have something you might need. PM me.

Whatever you do for batteries, make sure if placed inside that there in a vented battery box.

Last edited:

Jake2670

Reaction score
yeah, I'm still working on my Batt venting, do they have special fans, kinda worried about spark from reg one, thanks for links, I'm always looking for something

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
yeah, I'm still working on my Batt venting, do they have special fans, kinda worried about spark from reg one, thanks for links, I'm always looking for something

Where are your batteries located? Typically fans arent used in these applications simply for the reasons youre mentioning.
Im sure you know hydrogen gas rises ( ala hindenburg), so are your batteries not in a location where they can vent up?

As far as using a special fan, youd want an EE rated fan. I might be able to find you one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online