Dually to single F350

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone sell an adapter to convert my dually to a single setup. My wife wont drive our 93 F350 because it is too wide. It would be easier to change the rear and fenders than put up with the BS that I go thru. I just replaced the axle ratio and dont feel like swapping out rears again. The engine only has 3,000 miles on a total reman along with a rebuilt trans and a rebuilt IP. She flat out will not drive because of all the extra tires on the back???????????:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Without changing axles, the best youll get is a width that sp;its the difference. You could remove the outer ture ,and you have an odd offset , or I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same, you might be able to use wheels of a single and bolt them up, possibly with a stud change, but the tire is going to sit about in the middle of where the 2 are now, it won't be all the way in where you could use single fender setup, My guess, you'd only loose about 4" each side.
How much trouble would it be to trade the wife :dunno:angel::rotflmao

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your current truck is near 8ft wide. On a dually axle you can install single wheels, your new overall width will be about 7ft. You can also just pull the outboard wheels, and run only inboards, but it will look like a railroad truck (which is kinda cool really).

Either way you will need to swap the bed, or purchase bed sides only and have them welded in place or over your current bed sides, this is because the dually bed has huge cutouts in its sides under the fiberglass fenders. If you choose the setup with single wheels on a dually axle, you will need some 4"-6" flares or extensions of some sort added to the SRW bed sides, and then you wanna convert the front wheels to singles setup as well.

I think it would be easiest to just run the railroad truck setup, with only inboard wheels and regular bed sides.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your wife up in the hills and make mad passionate love to her in the truck. I mean do your damnest to pleasure the hell outta her!! Then she'll have fond memories of the truck and may even drive it some. At the very least she'll quit ******** about it.

Last edited:

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm wrong in thinking that both axle are the same, I never measured them, I was about to do the exact opposite and just bolt on a set of duals and get a set of junkyard fenders

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bring it to me and i will put you in a single whl rear axle and i will even set you up with a single rear axle bed for free. but as long as its not a cab and chassis trk the dually rear axle is 4" wider then a single rear wheel

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never knew there was a difference between the two axles. People have posted there are (and obviously, when you get parts there is a a difference). But I've seen people who take a single and just bolt on dually wheels and find a bed. I have never been able to see the difference but it's usually passing me on the road when I notice the single wheel type rim up front and duals in the back.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I never knew there was a difference between the two axles. People have posted there are (and obviously, when you get parts there is a a difference). But I've seen people who take a single and just bolt on dually wheels and find a bed. I have never been able to see the difference but it's usually passing me on the road when I notice the single wheel type rim up front and duals in the back.

HArd to see going down the road, but those are usually done with adapters. JC whipme has been selling those kits for years, it comes with a spacer to use two standard wheels together.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she won't drive it with four wheels in the back, she probably won't like to drive it with two either. My mom has driven Dad's truck twice, and just hates it. Its size just intimidates her. My girlfriend is learning how to drive a stickshift on mine and does fine. I'd just hate to see you go to the trouble to go to SRW and she still won't drive it. SRW's are still big, it takes a bit of skill to get mine through drive throughs without rubbing the tires on curbs (although if it wasn't a crew cab it would be a heckuva lot easier).

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill, one more thing to consider - even with the narrow door mirrors, the dually is still narrower in the rear than it is in the front. In other words, if you mirrors fit between two walls, so will the rest of the truck. I actually have the fairly rare setup where I have tow mirrors, but on narrow V-arms (so they are pretty worthless if I pull a big enclosed trailer), so they are just as wide as the dual fenders - if my mirrors fit in a narrow spot so will the rear axle, but if I'm backing up it also goes as if the axle fits, so will the rest of the truck - whereas most other duallies with the wide mirrors will get stuck right at the front doors.