DTI Timing light

Brian Wagner

Reaction score
So I ordered a timing light from DTI and it arrived wed. last week, when I pulled it out of the box this morning I discovered that there is know advance dial on the light, and from everything I've read there should be. I'm at a loss here, I have no idea what the hell is going on, the light is clearly wired to plug into their meter . Am I missing something here? did I take the wrong off ramp. If you can enlighten me please chime in. thanks in advance Bdub,

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call em
Ask for tech support
No operators manual online?

CharlesG

Reaction score
From the instructions;
Aim timing light at flywheel and depress trigger. You will observe the TDC mark or degree mark as if the engine were stopped due to the strobescopic effect of the timing light. To determine the exact timing of the engine, line-up the TDC mark on the flywheel with the stationary pointer mounted on the engine block. Move the TDC mark counter-clockwise by depressing the ▲ ADJUST button (Fig. 1, #5) on the front panel. To move the mark clockwise, press the ▼ ADJUST button (Fig. 1, #5). The TDC mark will begin to
move slowly at first, then begin to make small jumps toward the stationary pointer. You may have to “tap” the buttons up or down several times to line up the pointer and mark exactly. When the pointer and mark are lined up, observe the reading on the DEGREE display-this will be the exact number of degrees off TDC at which fuel injection occurs. (Advance buttons on the strobe light to accomplish the above are also included on special models).

Brian Wagner

Reaction score
Thank you CharlesG, that answers that question. Now I have another, any chance you would part with a copy of those instructions? neither my meter nor my light came with instructions everything i've learned has come from fellow oilburners on this web site. again thank you, I think after breakfast I'll go give it a shot. Bdub,

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's no advance dial. You advance and retard the timing by the two buttons on the handle of the light.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the instructions;
Aim timing light at flywheel and depress trigger. You will observe the TDC mark or degree mark as if the engine were stopped due to the strobescopic effect of the timing light. To determine the exact timing of the engine, line-up the TDC mark on the flywheel with the stationary pointer mounted on the engine block. Move the TDC mark counter-clockwise by depressing the ▲ ADJUST button (Fig. 1, #5) on the front panel. To move the mark clockwise, press the ▼ ADJUST button (Fig. 1, #5). The TDC mark will begin to
move slowly at first, then begin to make small jumps toward the stationary pointer. You may have to “tap” the buttons up or down several times to line up the pointer and mark exactly. When the pointer and mark are lined up, observe the reading on the DEGREE display-this will be the exact number of degrees off TDC at which fuel injection occurs. (Advance buttons on the strobe light to accomplish the above are also included on special models).
Flywheel?

Never-Have-I-Ether

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online