Dt 360 swap

Blue moog

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here. I have a 1995 gmc 3500 4x4 that I was going to use for a detroit diesel swap but decided not to go that route. After more research I came across the dt360 and figured if I'm going to do a swap, it better be what I want. Right now I'm thinking of all the parts of it and Im a little hung up as what to do with the transmission/ transfer case. According to carson stauffer's website, they make adapters to go from the dt360 to a zf5/zf6. I'm wondering if anybody has ever heard of one made for a nv4500? If I go the zf6 route (ford) , ill probably be tossing out my np241 at the same time and trying to find a ford (6.0) np271 to try to keep the 'Marriage' of the t-case/transmission as close as possible. I wouldn't say that cost isn't a factor in this build but I want to be sure it gets done, not trying to spend months adapting where a little (a lot haha) of money might have helped. I suppose another option is to mate a zf6 to my np4500 but I can't say I've heard that done before, would it require changing the input bearing on the t-case or just the input spline?
Thanks for reading
Bm

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a passenger side drop divorced transfer in the east bay area if you wanna go that route

Blue moog

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I talked to cody and he said the only ones made are for the zf series. It wouldn't be cost effective to make others for the nv4500/5600. Therefore it seems ill have to swap out the transmission and by consequence, the transfer case to mate it to the dt, not a huge deal, I can recoop some cost out of what I have. My transfer case I believe is a driver side drop so I think ill try to find one of those thanks for the thought though. Hopefully someone with some experience with dt's can chime in on this, I'm looking at a 180,000 mile ex-school bus engine, I would think I could expect a lot of life out of an engine with that miles in a pickup but I'm not sure. Also, if I use a zf transmission and adapter plate, do I have to run a stock international clutch or can I run a southbend single or similar? And finally one more question concerning the zf6, I know that the desirable version is the 6.0-6.4 heavier duty zf6, what about the gas transmission? Is a 2005 f350 5.4 zf6 the same as the 6.0 zf6 or are they different internally and mounting on the block?
Thanks

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I can't necessarily answer on using the adapter but at 180k if it runs fine I would not be worried about the milaige. These engines are stout and can be easily rebuilt if you do need to.

I know I went back and forth with the transmission and adapter. I ended up with a medium duty eaton fuller 6 speed and divorced transfer case. I now have the equivalent gear ratio set up of a zf6 and a nice heavy 14"clutch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk