drove a durmax the other day...

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it came in to our **FORD** dealer because it had gas in it (i guess we are so good that companies will give us any diesel to work on lol). it was an andrews electrical crew cab 4x4 with a small utility body on it and single rear wheels. doing the fuel filter on it isnt to bad once you figure out priming the fuel filter, witch doesnt take to long. i do have to say driving/working on the 6.6L vs the 6.0L motor, the duramx is amazing, i couldnt believe how quiet the thing was, and how quick it was, i think the truck i had would walk on a 2wd powerstroker truck. i still like the ford chassis better, but i am kinda wanting a chebby duramax to cruise around in right now

:D

p.s. im going to ford hell, fords are all ive really owned

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
They are nice riding, quiet and SHORT in all the wrong places.

Not bashing, I almost bought one.

John

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jharvey said:
They are nice riding, quiet and SHORT in all the wrong places.

Not bashing, I almost bought one.

John
john-
what part was too "short" for you? Outside of the door hinges, I like the chebby bodies and interiors for many years. I live in my truck and comfy has to be priority. I've gotten used to Fords for the last ten years, but I do like the GM interiors hands down.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
towcat said:
john-
what part was too "short" for you? Outside of the door hinges, I like the chebby bodies and interiors for many years. I live in my truck and comfy has to be priority. I've gotten used to Fords for the last ten years, but I do like the GM interiors hands down.

Just didn't seem to be as much room especially in the back seat, and that was very important for carrying around the neice and my outlaws LOL.
IMHO Ford has the roomiest cab of all of them.

The ride was hands down the best and the ergonomics was about the same as Ford and Dodge but it just didn't feel quite right to me, but that's just me.

Sting

4-PLAY
Reaction score
My work truck has a duramax. It's an ok powerplant, but IMO nothing special. It is very quiet though, which is nice.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ive driven alot of diesels, and i found the duramax to be the most impressive for power smoothness, and noise. interiors are a different story, chevies interiors are comfy ill give them that, but hands down, feels cheap, ford and dodge win me more then chevy. the chevys ride better but ive found loading a ford up vs loading a chevy up, the ford will feel better stability wise, i havent messed with loaded dodges.

to sum it up, what i was saying is, if i wanted a truck i could take my lovely girlfriend out to a nice dinner in id be in a duramax, if i wanted a truck for truck use, id be in a ford, but thats what my old 84 is for, and my gf's 98 Grand Cherokee is definitly the date machine...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was looking at trucks pretty seriously a few months ago and found the same thing in interior size. Short of the new cab that Dodge is offering (wasn't out when I was testing) the Ford had the most rear seat room hands down. I don't agree with the cheap interior factor though as the Dodge's I drove won the award for that. I have driven Chevies for years and it felt the best driving to me. The Ford felt like I was balancing a basketball on the end of a broom handle and everything I did just felt strange, like it was leaning a bunch, but it wasn't - don't really know how to explain it other than that - I will also say the Ford was a King Ranch and I was offered one heck of a deal on it, but it was 6.0 equipped which scared me.

Power wise, I felt the same way, the Duramax seemed to have a very broad powerband, I am sure it was influenced by the 6 speed, and I liked it the best all around. I tried to be very subjective as well and drove several of each brand in standard cab, extended cab and what I would have bought, 4 door SC. I have a full size van and a 4x4 daily driver which I was going to sell/trade and get a 4 door truck to replace both. While there was no offering in diesel, the Toyota truck was also VERY nice!!!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toyota will probably soon step into the light duty truck world, being as they are number one i dont see why not. i hope they do, competition only makes the market gain technology.

the fords have a unique ride, that is for sure, once you use to it though it feels more commanding then the plush ride of the chevy, dont get me wrong, the chevy will pull alot of stuff, i really like this generation of chevy's, as a matter of fact, i think all 3 of the light duty 2500+ trucks are very well put together. the dodge ive driven was a decked out truck a 3500 with every option known to man, so it didnt seem like a cheap interior, but maybe a little. i wish there where more used duramaxs out there, i cant find one in a new truck price range of mine :(

fickel

Reaction score
four ford diesels later and now a duramax I love my duramax its quite ,powerful, great on fuel. the last ford could'nt get over 13-14mpg duramax 16-24mpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88