1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driveway Grates

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BrianX128, Feb 10, 2020.

1. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

So my driveway is becoming a sore subject for me at my house. I live in the wettest area of PA I swear and my yard already is full of enough natural springs coming from the side of the hill I live on that when we get a big rain storm or significant snow melting it really washes the gravel down my driveway. I already have a nice storm drain to a big 5" pipe that goes down the hill onto the side of the road going past my house, but not all of the water runs in there even though it's kinda sloped to it from the "parking area" that is way wider in front of my garage.

I got a big steel rod out and smashed a small 4" deep ditch into my driveway to "catch" all the water from the parking area and force it into the ditch and into the drain instead of down the driveway where the two tire paths flatten the ground, but I'm sure after being run over a few hundred times especially by the IDI's and the UPS truck it's going to flatten out and vanish.

I want to put some sort of a grate or perforated pipe or literally anything but I'm not sure what the best method would be, and apparently buying these driveway grates is something you can't do at any brick and mortar store anymore you have to order them online?

I can post up a picture when I get home from work today, just looking for any inspiration from something someone else may have done to solve the same issues.

2. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

That picture would help, give us a better idea of what you're dealing with. My initial reaction and answer would be to consider a series of French drains (google the term if you're unfamiliar). Of course, once you've caught the water you have to have somewhere for it to go, somewhere for the drain to empty.

3. Mulochico

Mulochico Supporting Member Supporting Member

I did a drain once where I dug a trench for water diversion then filled it level with 3/4 rock. The rock kept it from filling in and the water flowed in the space between the rock. Not sure how long it would last in a driveway situation as mine was more of a planter/walkway. Just an idea for you to work off of.

4. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

i would be curious to hear about this to. i have often thought about this for on front of my garage but have not done anything yet.

somewhat similar issue, my long driveway is graded to allow water to run right into my garage. not as big a deal when the driveway was stone but when the previous owners paved it they made a giant funnel to put water in the garage when it rains hard. i would like to divert the water away before it is literally poring through my doors.

5. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

My daughter has the same situation. Her driveway slopes down from the road at what I would call a serious angle. Her house and garage are at the bottom of that slope. A previous owner put small speedbumps on the driveway to divert the water off to the side. They are not very tall, maybe an inch, so we don't notice them driving down to the house. The surprising thing is that they work well. We have never seen water run into her garage. For reference sake, she lives in the Santa Cruz Mountains, where they usually get a respectable amount of rain.

I'll look for pictures later, but right now I'm prepping for a medical visit. Maybe after.

subway likes this.
  6. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

By grate, do you mean a cattle crossing? Or like drain grate.
    Pic 1 or 2?
    blm-cattleguard-yellow_1024x1024@2x.jpg 44617a40b9ad8c540f00bc6a8c47acd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Picture 2 for sure, what I did for now was steal two sections of that type of grate from my garage where I have it going the whole way across the drain that is built into my garage. Only thing is I have two 3 ft empty sections in my garage now, one where the door is and one on the other side that a car will never drive over. I put plywood there for now.

The driveway seems to be holding up after getting run over several times, the two grates aren't sinking below the level they were in after I smashed them down with a giant sledge and the ditch still seems to have a good 3-4 inches under the grates for water to flow. I guess both on the good and bad side are that this driveway has several years and tons of gravel on it, it just has sunk in and blended with the mud. It has fresh gravel on it again for a couple years.

I still don't know if this is the best solution and I still want to get more "grating" to go the whole way across the ditch so I can return my grating to the garage. I'm just wondering if I should put cement in the ditch so it can't "push in" or dig a larger trench and try to bury a perforated pvc pipe but if I go that route I may not be able to get the water to exit into the existing big drain I have everything flowing into.

8. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

I mentioned earlier the diverters in my daughter's driveway, and that I'd get a picture. At this point I think it's not what you have in mind, but I'll add the picture since I took it for this thread. DSC_0008.JPG

9. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

I have used a section of conveyor belt buryed on edge with like 4 inches exposed it works great and minimizes erosion and diverts water