Dodge Dana 60 kingpin axle in an F450

Jbone36

Reaction score
What would be the point of this and why?

You must be registered for see images attach

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about as easy to do as any other f-super axle swap/conversion really I suppose. even easier if they used a divorced t case. They could even keep the parking brake that way, and I see they used a single leaf and airbag setup too. Interesting for sure. Also looks to still be 8 lug front, hard to tell with the stool there. I've also never seen a tie rod point up from a pitman arm towards a high steer type knuckle on an f series either.....

If it were me, this looks like a parts availably swap haha.

Jbone36

Reaction score
It's about as easy to do as any other f-super axle swap/conversion really I suppose. even easier if they used a divorced t case. They could even keep the parking brake that way, and I see they used a single leaf and airbag setup too. Interesting for sure. Also looks to still be 8 lug front, hard to tell with the stool there. I've also never seen a tie rod point up from a pitman arm towards a high steer type knuckle on an f series either.....

If it were me, this looks like a parts availably swap haha.
Hey BR3..its i trip for sure.. this is a truck im building out so its going to have to work..the lugs are 10 like the rear and yes its divorced like me. Crossing my fingers it rills straight after i het engine and trans in as I have 0 history on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the good thing is it's not the notorious aam 9.25 that are so prone to failure. I don't know passenger side drops that well, but a 60 is a decent axle regardless of origin. Though the marmon conversion f-supers used hybrid d70s if I recall correctly, if your not using it for crane truck work, I'm sure the 60 will be more than enough

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
That's not a Dodge 60 - its custom/aftermarket; possibly a 70. If it were Dodge, would have a spring perch cast into the pumpkin.

These conversions were done because at the time you could not buy a factory 4wd Ford with 14-15k GVWR.

Marmon-Herrington did build/supply front diffs for these trucks. This is the first passenger-side drop I've seen.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, the question was definitely not weather Ford sold it. I don't think anyone still believes any f-super left a Ford factory 4x4, and with some moderate research, the interwebs concensus is that we are looking at a Quigley converted Dana 70 front.

I'm pretty sure the marmon trucks were driver drop 70s most commonly, but I know they made their own axles too ( I've seen one of them and it's giant for a pickup) and I've heard of hybrid 60's bieng used as well

I'm still quit impressed with the single leaf and huge airbags, that appears to maybe be a one off they did haha, quite cool!

Last edited: