Dodge Dakota?

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one for the wife a few months back. Anyone know anything that I should keep an eye on?

dieselram

Reaction score
What year? engine? tranny? etc. does it have? I had a 98 dakota and I loved it. Let us know some details and I will try to help.
Will

BigSix

Reaction score
Power window mechanism cable is a weak spot. Also the ball joints are sealed and tend to dry out before they should. BJs may become a recall... The 4.7 is more prone to sludge than some others. I've found sludge in just about all the gassers I've owned when they were never allowed to warm up completely such as short trips or removing the thermostat thinking cooler is better.
I use Valvoline full synthetic 10w-40 in our Durango's 4.7. I've had one ball joint replaced under warranty and plan on buying a needle lube gun for the sealed joints to try to prevent drying out.
Overall, we like the Durango (Dakota's twin sister) and would buy another one in a heartbeat!:cheers:

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dieselram
What year? engine? tranny? etc. does it have? I had a 98 dakota and I loved it. Let us know some details and I will try to help.
Will

"03" SLT Quad Cab 4x4, 4.7L V8, 5 spd Auto 5-4 RFE. The wife loves it. Has a lot of power and the back seat has plenty of room for the kids.

I will be changing over to Amsoil synthetic in 500mi. Thanks for the ball joint info, I will watch them and try to needle lube the ones that are sealed.

Thanks Joe

analog

Reaction score
NAIL BENDER said:
"03" SLT Quad Cab 4x4, 4.7L V8, 5 spd Auto 5-4 RFE. The wife loves it. Has a lot of power and the back seat has plenty of room for the kids.

I will be changing over to Amsoil synthetic in 500mi. Thanks for the ball joint info, I will watch them and try to needle lube the ones that are sealed.

Thanks Joe
Just a quick tip on the ball joints. My 97 had them go out, and the dealer said it was a $1,000+ fix because they were all one piece with the control arms. BS I said. Bought some aftermarket Moog's I believe, drilled out them old ball joints, and the new ones bolted right in. Cost was about $70-80.

Other than those ball joints I've no problems with my Dakota.. It's a good truck. The 318 motor is great, the nv3500 5spd is great, and I have just over 100K miles on it, and will keep her until the tires turn square ;)

BigSix

Reaction score
We sure like our '01 Durango with 4.7L and 45RFE tranny. The 4.7L is suseptible to sludge like many others. DC recommends we use oil that meets Chrysler's MS-6395 requirements as well as API ILSAC GF-4 certification. Each motor is different with it's sliding cam followers, timing chain or gears etc... The additive package can help or hinder the longevity of the parts they're intended to protect. I use Valvoline synthetic in the Durango and Durablend in the Hemi. It meets both specs and while Valvoline synthetic isn't a POA based synthetic, it's still good oil with good UOA reports.
We had the upper control arm replaced on our 4X2 Durango under warranty. Seems like alot to replace for a dry ball joint but I were to replace them myself, I'd get 'em from NAPA with grease fittings. Done that on other vehicles too.
We also had the driver's side window cable end break. Cheap plastic. Also warranty. We're on our own now...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online