Do synthetics have a friction modifier

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a little off the diesel path ..... BUT..... I have been running mobil 1 synthetic in one of my quads forever... In talking to a dealer... He told me NEVER to run car oil in an ATV unless it does not have the friction mod..... Is this modifier present in synthetics? Anyone?:thanks:

B

Big K

Was into bikes 'til about '90. Used Amsoil or Mobil 1 in all of them. They were all wet clutch. Never had difficulty. Now into for quads for the last few years. Still no problems. Have been using Amsoil Motorcycle oil. I have heard this mentioned somewhere before, but can't remember where.

I'll let you know how it works in my not quite stock Banshee, as it's broke in enough now for syn. :D

Perhaps it's time for an e-mail to Amsoil tech for further info.

Now as I understand it, you add the friction modifier to lube to aid proper function of the clutches, as in a limited slip differential application. Your post stated it the other way 'round. :confused:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I am saying, is that the oils that say energy conserving have an additive... told to me as a friction modifyer..... this will let wet clutch systems slip...... Amsoil does have an atv lube..... not energy conserving.... But Mobil 1 is what i want to use........ Last night I did find 15w50 synthetic that was not energy conserving but I think its a little heavy.....

B

Big K

Sounds like a generic term, "friction modifier" being used to refer to two different things, in two different contexts. I understand your use. In the context to which I referred, it prolly should be referred to as "limited slip additive", and often is, although this amsoil product, designed to be used as a differential additive, is referred to as a "friction modifier".

I think that we understand each other, and I'm not trying to pick nits, but rather to define some terminology so others aren't confused. Sometimes I even confuse myself, and I'm not trying to do that, either ;)

Back to the oils. As I said, I used a lot of Mobil 1, but not since '90. Chances are probably good that it was not "energy conserving", or at least did not have some of the newer additives, back then. Makes it a new ball game, if so. Does it say that it is "EC" on the label?

Just looked @ a quart jug, and yes it does, as does one from about 4 years ago.

MOBIL 1 info

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy ****.... I found MX4-t.. 7.99 a quart..... ouch...... I ended up with some valvoline SJ rated oil... Has a Jaso MA rating ..... I have really learned alot about fricken ATV oils in the last week.... I dont underastand.... one thing... How come oils with less in them.... cost way more than good oils for cars.... Gotta be supply and demand....

I did read 20w50 is good in Hondas at over 20 degrees.. I am going to go back and see if the 15w50 will work in the summer and if it is SL or SJ..... Thhanks for your help bigK

B

Big K

Hell, you've done all the research here.LOL

I just go to my local brand A warehouse & get what I need.:)

Good info to be aware of, and I was not, in the case that I might have to add/change lube in the field without my normal supply. I'll keep these points in mind.

THX

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online