Divorced NP205 t-case install.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Now that the E4OD to ZF 5spd swap is done I can start in on the divorced 205 t-case install. I had the truck running this afternoon, I think I have a shaft here that will work for 2wd if I had a problem with my t-case. I measured it and it should fit. All that's left on the 5spd is to put the inspection cover on and and wire up the cruise interupt to the clutch pedal. I bypassed the neutral safety switch wiring from the E4OD to get it to start.

I test fit the 205 under the truck, looks pretty much as I expected it to look. I'll probably have to alter the exhaust a little for clearance but over all it fit ok. I'll have to customize the trans crossmember to clear the front driveshaft but that's no problem. A guy I know at the local driveline repair/fab shop is a 4x4 racer and offroad guru. He's coming out this week to have a look at the 205 under the truck and to help me design a mount for it. Having him here will be great, I can get a read on what would be most cost effective way to mount it when it comes time to get the rear driveshaft(s) made.:Thumbs Up

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good....too bad you didn't have a factory 205 crossmember to work with....that would be ideal...Oh well I think you'll manage just fine!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Man good job ;Sweet. Your so close to getting those whole project done, you'll have an awsome rig when your done (ZF, Dana 60, 205, 7.3 IDI, that is basically a bullet proof truck).

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
now that your swap is done, would you mind putting a list together of each part needed with a brief description of the process in the tech articles for people like me that plan on doing this at some time, but get friggen lost when reading about it through the current swap thread in the tech page?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Rockwells, that's for a serious rig....Mine will be a "heavy duty" daily driver....LOL...When I get some time I could write a tech article I suppose. You don't need many parts for a 5spd swap:

ZF Transmission and stick
clutch M/C, line and slave cylinder
clutch pedal assembly
ZF trans crossmember (shorter than the auto CM)
Single or dual mass flywheel and clutch
plain steering column (optional - for looks)
driveshaft (used or have it made)

In my case I have to wire up the cruise cut out switch on the clutch pedal. I removed the E4OD wiring and jumped the white/pink stripe wire with the reb/blue stripe wire to get it to crank. I don't have a nuetral safety switch.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockwells equal big money and that's hard for a cheap, deal searching SOB like me to stomach...:eek: :puke: :rotflmao

Ya I hear ya....them thar Rockwell axles are what I want.....just not what I can get right now; that is less I can get a set shipped from Athen's Ohio to WA thus I am still lookin for a D60 to at least get my SAS completed.

I ran across this deal here from this place.... A combined Shackle reversal/lift and a rear spring hanger shackle flip kit all together...click on "Sky Specials" and scroll down to the bottom of the page...voila.... -Drool:D ;Sweet cookoo

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
-Drool -Drool -Drool ....That is a good deal, to go with the 4" of stock lift I have now over the 2wd setup....Someday I might do the reversal thing but for now I have more pressing things to complete...;Sweet ....I really don't find the ride all that bad with my truck, even with the 3rd front leaf.:dunno ...Stiff but not jarring.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice work, me likey;Sweet very cool to see something custom like this weel put together.

BTW riotworrior, that link isent working for me:dunno

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
We are going to start fabrication of the 205 CM tommorow night....Last night and tonight I'm finishing up some little odd's and ends in preparation. If all goes well I should have it back on the road next week....Hopefully....LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Jim came over tonight and we started to fabricate my 205 crossmember....It's fun to watch him work - he makes it look so easy.;Sweet ....The crossmember is tacked together, he's going to take it and finish it himself on Sunday once I pick up some more steel tommorow....Looking great so far. The driveshaft from the transmission to transfer case will be 1350 series and 6" long with a slip joint.:eek: .....The front shaft won't need a CV joint so he's going to modify my stock F350 front shaft. The rear shaft will just need to be shortened a little.....We are also going to make a custom trans crossmember to allow for the front shaft....More pics to come, he's got a simple yet strong design in mind for the uprights to mount the t-case so they will be removable.....I'll hold you in suspense until Monday for the finished product pics...:D

Funny story to go along with this....As we were working along I got a phone call. It was a guy I had spoken to 2 months ago calling me to see if I still wanted a 2nd NP205 divorced t-case....I said sure, $100 is the price and he's bringing it to me...;Sweet ....So we keep talking and he said he had two married cases there as well. One had more range options, lower gearing and weighed about 200lbs....He said I could have both for $175.....Curiosity got me so I said "what the hell, bring them both".....I just have to see what the 2nd one is.:dunno