Divorced Gear Vendors unit

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't think so. It's not a straight gear, and it depends on pressure on the input side to engage. But they do come under drive models.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The "J" was the early model.... the "P" is the current model... these require hydraulic pressure to work. So they really don't work on 1st gear. The split each other gear so... Shift into 2nd and then cut in the gv and you have a half gear between 2nd and 3rd... And so on... They are a great unit....

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to get one of those, the divorced unit would be perfect for my rig. Replace the pillow-block with the overdrive. Keep the stock rear shaft and have the front shaft shortened. Other than a mounting bracket I think it would work perfect. Now only I have $1500 laying around. LOL not this month!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! Anyone know if these can be run backwards to give a nice "doubler" crawl ratio? thanks
FWIW even if it could possibly done (as Gary pointed out with the issues related to the shift mechanism), you'd still only be able to use it in 2 wheel drive, unless you used a 2WD tranny and did a divorce-mount transfer case behind it. If you want a lower crawler gear for when you're in 4 wheel drive, you'll almost certainly be better off with either a Doug Nash/U.S. Gear underdrive. This'll go between the tranny and the transfer case, and you could then use it in 4 wheel. Underdrives certainly exist, and IIRC they're not in as much demand as the overdrive units are...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I would like to have one for a future project. 4cyl diesel, suburban/centurion/something big enough for 1000 mile trips and 5 people. I want to get one that will get 30-40mpg.

SWS

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is $1500 about ballpark for a used late-model unit? According to the GV FAQ, count on another $700 to get the correct adapter, but for this unit, I was thinking swap out the carrier bearing and putting this unit on another cross-member behind the transfer case. Is there a reason that wouldn't work?

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
You guys should look up the GV for a 88-97 F-Superduty... it sits between the trans and the parking brake. It probably works equally good between a trans and t-case. ;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Interesting! Anyone know if these can be run backwards to give a nice "doubler" crawl ratio? thanks

You cannot run a laycock overdrive ( Gearvendors) in reverse unless you want to blow the thing up. They *really* don't take kindly to it.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you want a doubler, you could probably do a real doubler for used GV money or less. There are seemingly thousands (not really) of doubler options now-a-days for every make of 4x4.
Travis..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is $1500 about ballpark for a used late-model unit? According to the GV FAQ, count on another $700 to get the correct adapter, but for this unit, I was thinking swap out the carrier bearing and putting this unit on another cross-member behind the transfer case. Is there a reason that wouldn't work?
I haven't been following used GV prices, but $1500 for a used unit sounds high. I'm under the impression that used and non-rebuilt OD units are typically going for $600 to $700 (I paid $650 for my Doug Nash, and no one found that unreasonable at the time)...so, maybe $1000 to $1200 for a recently rebuilt unit?

I don't know much about the GV units, but I seem to recall from Mel's description of his GV install in the Lady Moose that it replaced the carrier bearing...if I'm correct, or if you find a GV unit with a yoke on both the input and output shafts for U-joints, that should mean that you won't need any adapters, and your idea will work...although you may need custom U-joints or to replace the yokes on your driveshafts if the yokes are a different size. But, again, I don't know...hopefully Mel or someone with more GV experience can add his input.

You guys should look up the GV for a 88-97 F-Superduty... it sits between the trans and the parking brake. It probably works equally good between a trans and t-case. ;Really
That's the first I've ever heard of such a unit...VERY interesting! Do you by chance have any more info on it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A GV fits nicely behind the E4OD trans with the supplied adapter. The carrier bearing stays in place too. Just shorten the front drive shaft about 16 inches. Every truck needs a differant front driveshaft length... Even if you have alike truck yours will be differant... So says GV instructions. Go to Ebay under Gear Vendors... Have a look at the prices... I have a spare GV and a C6 adapter I might be interested in selling....:angel: If you want to see my GV setup look in the May 2008 Diesel Power magazine. Way back then they did an article on what I have done to my truck and engine...Some of the words used were even what I said... Thanks again Jason for the time with you. I really enjyed explaining how I did the things I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online