Disc brake dually

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None that I'm amare of. And what I've seen for SRW trucks, I wouldn't trust most of that under an empty 3/4-ton let alone fully loaded 1-ton dually. You best bet would be to swap the entire rear axle - two choices available, Dana 70HD from a '99-up Econoline E350 cutaway chassis or what IIRC was a Dana 80 from again '99-up E450 cutaway. Both axles are 8 lug with the 6.5" BCD and thus you can use your current wheels on them. The E350 axle is as wide as a drum-brake DRW axle from a truck with a pickup bed and is usually rated at about the same or slightly higher GAWR, it also has integrated parking brakes. The E450 axle is wider than even the drum-brake DRW axle from a pickup truck by IIRC 3" and it is rated at significantly higher GAWR (over 9000lbs) but it does NOT have parking brakes and thus requires use of driveline brake of some sorts. Both axles have the spring perches sitting wider than any truck can use, if you got a truck with a pickup bed you will probably need to cut the perches off and weld new ones but with a cab-chassis truck you may be able to just weld new perches on and leave the factory E-series ones in place.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking for increased stopping power? rear disc's (nice hd truck size calipers) couldn't touch the hydro upgrade.this is the starting point brother;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...Vacuum-amp-Upgrade-To-F-450-Hydroboost-Brakes!

fyi;
the sterling 10.25 DRW pickup axle already sports extra wide shoes over srw axles.with the hydro,you'll have 0% issue locking 'em right up.:D
with the hydro assist,you can have your dually stop better when loaded than you ever thought possible.

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I found at one point, and don't quote me on this, but someone was making a kit for the Sterling 10.25" to use D60 dual piston calipers. I'd have to look through my favorites on my phone and desktop to verify as I know I would've saved it if I did find it.

Psdiesel74

Reaction score
Well I know everyone is gonna frown upon it and have nothing nice to say about it but I took a SRW truck, kept the axle, and have a 2 inch spacer and then a wheel and then another two inch spacer and then the outside wheel and I'm running 305/70r16 tires. So it's still a srw axle. But I guess it's the calipers that don't fit with the dually rims? I havnt found much on it. The truck is jus a toy. If I wanna pull something I use my Duramax. I'm jus screwing with it but I wanted to try to find a way to make disc brakes work. And no I'm not hydro swapping but thanks.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, well then the SRW kits may just do the trick for you. Don't know for sure, never tried it that way, considering how heavy our truck is and what engineering disasters most conversion kits are we ain't fawkin around with them. Out of curiosity, why no hydro swap. The rear discs only improve the rear axle (I mean the proper discs, not the conversion kits), hydro improves front as well, and that's where most of your stopping comes from when truck's empty... Just wondering is all, hydro swap will probably be cheaper too.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found at one point, and don't quote me on this, but someone was making a kit for the Sterling 10.25" to use D60 dual piston calipers. I'd have to look through my favorites on my phone and desktop to verify as I know I would've saved it if I did find it.
I'd be curious to see more on this, but I'm guessing that you still lose the parking brake function.

There is this: http://www.fordmann.com/F350.rear_disc_brakes.htm although it's pretty involved, requires welding abilities and a fair amount of machine work, and you still have to source a parts axle. I've been wanting to do disc brakes for years, but I have too much on my plate to even think about tackling something like that right now. However, IMHO, either that or swapping an axle out of an E-Series is really going to be the best way to go. I don't really trust any of the "conversion kits" out there...either you lose your parking brake or, as LCAM said, you end up with calipers and pads so small that they're not safe for a 1-ton truck. I think I'll stick with rear drum brakes for now...

Psdiesel74

Reaction score
The 1976-78 Cadillac elderado brake calipers will work with most conversion kits and they have an Ebrake in them. And my concern was that they do make a caliper bracket for the stearling 10.25 however, will the caliper clear my 16 inch inside wheel?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Most kits used to used Caddy calipers, but now the majority use 73-87 Chebby 3/4 ton front calipers. I'll look for that link. For some reason I thought it was Blackbird Fabworks, but it doesn't look that way.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And i dont know what's all involved in hydro swap that's the only reason I wasn't interested lol didn't mean offense to anybody

A hell of a lot less than rear disc swap.....and as mentioned for front and rears...kicks **** *** for sure....damn near spit teeth out first stop in panic situation

Use search...read...look into it...there are couple active threas right now

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Most kits used to used Caddy calipers, but now the majority use 73-87 Chebby 3/4 ton front calipers. I'll look for that link. For some reason I thought it was Blackbird Fabworks, but it doesn't look that way.

Correction, it was Blackbird Custom Trucks, but their website no longer exists. Looks like they used dual piston calipers from a 2002 Dodge 2500. I bet with some searching there are other dual piston caliper conversion kits for the Sterling still out there, but they aren't cheap.

I'm with riot, go hydroboost first. You won't be sorry.

Psdiesel74

Reaction score
I'm not sure why everybody thinks a disc brake swap is so much work. I've done mulitple and it can be done in less than an hour. What all is involved in the hydro swap. What parts are needed.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1976-78 Cadillac elderado brake calipers will work with most conversion kits and they have an Ebrake in them.
Right, and compared to the rear calipers you see on pickup trucks with factory disc brakes, the Cadillac calipers are tiny. In the end, it's your truck and your decision, but I really don't think that going that way is a good idea. Please don't put anybody else at risk...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online