Differences between an 085 & 088 ATS Turbos????

420Bullnose

Reaction score
On my '84 I believe I got an 088 ATS, want to know the the differences between the 085 and 088,
Is it just the size or does one deliver more boost?, I know they are both Non-Wastegated/Intercooled.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real differences are in the turbine housings, the 088 uses a proprietary 1.1 AR turbine housing and a slip joint turbo flange that only allows that housing to fit. The 085 uses a T4 flange and I think around a 1.0 AR exhaust housing and the turbine from the 088 and the compressor wheel and housing similar to the 093. Both are better turbos than none at all, and Ive made over 400hp with the 088, but both turbo kits lack response mostly due to their large exhaust wheels and housing ARs. I would go with the 085 design personally. The T4 flange gives you options to bolt on any aftermarket T4 turbo which is impossible due to the 088s design.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having only run the 088, and spent hours researching turbos, I agree with Paul about the preference for the 085 setup. The 088 might be easier to install a new kit due to fewer parts, but the turbine side will limit some of the potential. After many years of searching, I finally managed to score a Fleabay 093 (not the Ford OEM) setup. It's been collecting dust under my workbench ever since LOL.

Anyhow, here's what each of the three ATS legacy kits look like:

You must be registered for see images attach

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
So I have an 085 sitting in a box I was thinking of putting on the 86. But I would sell or trade it if convinced there is a very clear advantage to another set up. It was free and I know for a fact the turbo was rebuilt not that many miles ago.