Difference between 6.9 and 9.0 international?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told the difference when I first become a member to TDS but I can't remember. I got a new job in Alabama and in the process of moving,but where I work at now we have a back up truck that is a 86 international with a :hail 9.0 diesel in it and its the best truck we have. It will start in the freezing cold the first time. The truck I drive is a 99 dt466 but that 9 liter will pull the building off its foundation. I let off the clutch the other day to fast and I could have swore the front tires come off the ground! :Sly Tim

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be grossly mistaken, but I think the 6.9l/7.3l and the 9.0l are completely different blocks...with the only thing they really have in common being that they're V-8's, unless the fuel system is similar.

That's also interesting...granted I haven't had any firsthand experience, but I thought I had seen other people saying that the 9.0l's a dog compared to the DT466? *shrug*

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
we all have our different opinons of engines,the 9.0 was used in trucks and tractors,when in the tractors it was called the DV550.
i know the tractors would only run on 4 cylinders until the extra power was needed then the other 4 would kick in.
they are just like every thing else some people got good ones some bad.
DT466's are good also,but got a bad rap for under power in some of the trucks it got put in.
not sure of the differences between the 9.0 liter and 6.9.
dont think the 9.0 liter is a IDI,they had the inline bosch inline inj. pump.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Used in boats too!! It's about as similiar as a 6.9 and any other V8 diesel. There might be something that is interchangable by chance.
James

Attachments

• IHv8a.JPG
    IHv8a.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IHv8b.JPG
    IHv8b.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IHv8c.JPG
    IHv8c.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 18

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
They say with $$$ anything can be done, but seems to me somebody posted about a 9.0 in a pickup at somepoint. You can fit a 3208 in pickup (with major mods) and it is approx the same size.
James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online