Diff covers.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shared that same video the other day! I thought it was really cool to see that with the clear cover. I'm looking forward to the other videos. Have they finished their testing yet? I don't think they had when I saw it.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped my dana 61 out for a 10.25 I installed a diff temp gauge and a 1/4” plate steel diff cover from under cover fabworks. After towing 10k for an hour or so I saw about 230*. It’s more temp than I’d like to see but still with in what I’d call safe. I’m. Sure there’s other diff covers that would reduce temps, but this one is built like a tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will have to start following this n soon getting a donor truck to test on

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I agree with his logic on the shape of the diff cover controlling the flow of oil though. Centrifugal force dictates the throw off of oil at an angular direction from the ring gear is what causes oil to be scattered about the housing, not the oil "riding up" the cover. The oil that tops the ring gear is just happenstance considering the viscosity and a form of the Venturi effect from the oil still on the ring gear. Really the old Lucas oil display at any old auto parts store demonstrated the principal. Oil still got to the top gear better because it was thick and carried up the gear (the display gimick, really) and never even got near the housing unless you spun it really really fast haha.

Maybe his tests will show I'm wrong though, I suppose we will see. His boost products work well, maybe he's not too far afield

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well even after watching the new video, I feel as though I've moved 25% closer to agreeance with his major stance that the square back to cover is the most relevant feature/ detraction of an after-market cover. The aeration is important, however when reviewing the original video doesn't seem to be any worse visually than the original clear cover.

And a keen eye will notice the same flow patterns develop on very similar points of the cover, flat backed or curved. You can notice the reluctor cutting a clear patch near the top middle, and two patches either side of the ring gear to the bottom where the oil picks up to be flung.

As for the "extra work" to me, it appears the additional volume creates a pocket of lube that helps to reduce impact in nearly the exact same way a pickup bed does with airflow over a cab. I think the principal of fluid Dynamics that prevents 90' turns in non vacuum chamber scenarios takes care of the "impact".

As far as I'm concerned, looking just at what happens at the cover may, but far from certainly,dictates what happens at the pinion anyhow. What we really need to see is the amount of lube present at the pinion bearings and the contact point between the ring gear and pinion, as well as oil temps when used in real scenarios. We would need some pretty specific equipment to test the previous, so we will see what he comes up with next as a "definite proof" or solution to the supposed problem , and how it may work.

I'm still open to hearing new information, but so far I'm not with him yet

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep it’s gonna be really interesting going forward with the testing, I think it’s important to note he refers to the square covers causing issues as a theory, and not a claim. Still not enough data to make a full claim. I think the front of the dif would be real interesting to see, maybe a bore scope would show enough to get an idea of what’s going on?

I agree the flow did not look all that bad with the second cover, but the aeration is definitely concerning, flow did seem to look more concentric with the smooth cover.